9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2014 3:50 AM by Roy Hunter

Data Cards - What is the point?

Roy Hunter

Background - We installed EPDM about 5 months ago. The way it was originally installed we filled in the data cards before the part/assy/drw was created and this in turn filled in custom properties in the model. However we had problems with the slddrw template file and had to abandon using the built in template from the admin panel and resort to using the %%%dot style templates. This all works now but it means the cards are filled in after the model is created. This is a bit of a pain as I am having issues getting some of the attributes to match.

I see no benefit in our configuration to using datacards for our Solidworks models and I am thinking of abandoning them.

Does anyone know of a downside to not using cards, like searching metadata etc? 

• Re: Data Cards - What is the point?
          Michael Dekoning

We do things the way you have set it up and not had any problems. If I were you I'd go back and determine why the model properties aren't filling in the drawing properties. Perhaps your VAR can help.

Brian McEwen

I'm not sure I get it.  @Dekoning - So if you don't use datacards you just search based on content, and filename? So you have indexed searching set up?

@Hunter - What is the "built in template from the admin panel"? 

""I see no benefit in our configuration to using datacards for our Solidworks models""

That that would certainly miss out on some metadata search functions. It is pretty easy to map from sldprt and sldasm to data cards (and you can fill it in from either data card or from inside solidworks)- so I don't see why you wouldn't do that.  But maybe you just mean trouble on the drawing properties side.  Roy - are you propagating properties from the sldasm/sldprt to the slddrw datacard?   We do have to rebuild drawings to get the model based properties to show up on the drawing data card.

Michael Dekoning

Brian,

What I meant is that we have data cards set up the way Roy said they had originally. We haven't had a problem with property values populating the data card variables.

Brian McEwen

Thanks for clarification. 

Roy Hunter

Thanks for the reply.

Just about to make some big changes to the way our CAD data is managed in EPDM and the cards are just seem like a bit of unneccessary hassle. If I can get the custom properties to write to the cards accurately and consistently then I could live with them but if not I would like to remove them. Obviously if they are needed for something that I am not aware of then I may have to live with them. I have attached some screensshots that hopefully explains what we are up to.

template manager Capture.JPG 

template manager assy card Capture.JPG

template manager custom props Capture.JPG

Brian McEwen

Well you should probably have some team discussions about what variables you want to be easily searchable or readable.  You can't search by Material unless you either put it on the card or set up an Index and use Content searching. You are probably right that you don't need everything.  Most likely you want Part Number, Description and Revision at a minimum. Also you can put some variables on the card that are only on the card - no need to map some things.

Once you figure out the variable mapping it should not matter if you use EPDM templates or SolidWorks templates to start a SolidWorks file.  But yeah the template Wizard variables are a different animal (they have a middleman in the form of the template variables) compared to the regular variable/attribute mapping. 

It may help to look up variables mapping and templates in the Administration Guide. You may know this and be having other problems, but I'll attach an example image. 

variable example.JPG

And here is what our CAD file card looks like (for sldprt;slddrw;sldasm;eprt;edrw;easm;dxf;dwg).  On the Ref tab I have ECO number, material and weight and a few other things that we thought could be handy. I keep a Watermark variable on the card - it shows on the drawing and changes when the file changes State (it is mapped to .slddrw but not to other .sld).  And I have some hidden variables on the card that help with other automatic checks (it can't move to state Y unless it went thru state X per SourceState variable).

CADfilecardExample.JPG

I'm still figuring out what we really need, but the card and mapping does work.

Roy Hunter

Brian

Went back to my variables and cleared out all the redundant attributes.

Also had to clean up my custom properties in my templates.

The cards seem to be mapping OK now.

I think there was a conflict between some custom properties in my part tempalte, my drawing and my variables in EPDM.

Thanks for your help.

I can now concentrate on my Sheet metal flat pattern issues.

Michael Dekoning

Roy,

We do not have EPDM templates for drawings. The user selects "Make Drawing from Part" (or Assembly) in SolidWorks. They do have the System Options, File Locations, Document Templates path pointing to a location in the vault where we store the drwdot files. We have the title block pull most of the properties from the part or assembly. Then the mapping as Brian shows above works quite well.