3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 1:48 PM by Jared Conway

Non-Uniform Pressures are Broken in 2014

Matt Mullett

I'm working on a trailer that hauls gravel in SW 2014. To get a more accurate loading than a distributed mass, I opened up SW2013 while 2014 was solving a run to work on figuring out the pressure loads on a very simplified tub model. I got it nailed down, and applied the same load from my dummy tub in 2013 to the trailer in 2014. However, the same exact load in 2014 results in a couple orders of magnitude higher load. My trailer kept blowing up bright red, and I couldn't figure out the reason.

So I brought my tub model from 2013 into 2014, and without changing a thing, I ran the study, and it gave me the same problem. Instead of 400,000lb, I end up with 3,000,000lb. I think the problem may be related to this: Tub Pressure Loads.PNG

Notice the .046 next to every coefficient in the tooltip. Can anyone help me with this?

• Re: Non-Uniform Pressures are Broken in 2014
          Jared Conway

what happens wtih a brand new 2014 part

brand new study

brand new pressure distribution?

• Re: Non-Uniform Pressures are Broken in 2014
              Jay Huson

We have noticed issues with this as well since updgrading to 2014

Using non uniform distribution for hydrostatic analysis of tank design.

I have done some testings of just this force and comparing the resultant force from the analysis to hand calculation for same depth of water.

What I have noticed is that if imperial units are used the numbers are out as Matt has said by order of magnitude.  Upon calculating what factor they were out by I noticed something.  The factor it is out by is 39.36 in some cases, 25.4 or 2.54 in others.  What is interesting is that these are same as conversion factors of inches per m, and mm per inch. 

So my guess is that when the units are changed to PSI, somehow the linear scale that the distribution is based on is not being changed to inches. 

For example our normal distribution is set up as 1 psi with cordinate at top of the tank. and a y factor of .036  (density of water lbs/cu in or lbs per inch of depth on 1 sq in of area.)

But is seems to be calculating as .036 lbs per meter on 1 sq in.

Is anyone else seeing these same factors?