12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2007 10:52 AM by Doug Kuhn

Brain Fried

John Cates
      Hi guys, I worked the tutorials hoping I'd be able to adapt someautoCad drawings or something while I wait a month for the onlynearby training classes to start, but after five days I'm totallybrain fried.  I guess the examples were not comprehensiveenough for me to apply them to anything other than flat materialwith counterbores or similarly simple tasks.  The softwarejust leaves my Cadd knowledge in the dust I guess, and I've gotliterally hundreds of drawings to do.  Are there any websites,forums, or books to ease the transition?  Anybody else who raninto the same situation have suggestions? I can redo the tutorialswithout a hitch, but when I pull one of our drawings I startdrowning.
        • Brain Fried
          Steve Calvert
          John, show us one or more drawings so we can get an idea of the complexity. Sometimes it makes sense just to start from scratch and re-build the model.

Steve
            • Brain Fried
              John Cates
              Here's what seems like a simple part, but I can't do any more thanadopt it into solidworks and typically redraw it myself... It willonly allow me to upload jpeg's as well.
                • Brain Fried
                  Martin Cox
                  Have You looked at using the 2d to 3d toolbar
                  Look it up in the SW help
                  Typical steps looking at your example drawing might include
                  1 copying & pasting the relevant elevations into a new blank autocad document to cut down on the amount of editing invoved
                  If the documents are relatively small you could skip this and then discard the remmants in the solidworks part.
                  2 Opening the autocad drawing in solidworks as a new part.
                  3 Using the 2d to 3d tool bar - selecting firstly the front view
                  4 Selecting other elevations and manipulating them to the right orientation using the 2d to 3d toolbar
                  5 The rotated sketches can be repositioned, If you right click a sketch you can select a sketch plane to move the sketch on to
                  If the default planes are not suitable, you can create your on planes to use. You may need to reorder the feature tree by dragging the planes you want to use above the relevant sketches. By creating angled planes you can even utilise auxillary elevations.
                  Then use the align sketch tool to reposition the sketches so that everything coincides.

Take your 3d sketched part and use it to create your new part or assembly.
                  If it is an assembly you can set the sketched part properties so that it will not be included in the bill of materials
                  Yes it is a bit tricky at first but practice and you can get good results
                  I attach a jpeg example!
                  Regards
                  • Brain Fried
                    J. Mather
                    I recommend not using the AutoCAD geometry. Use it only for reference in rebuilding a parametric part.
                    In the attached RMB unsuppress each feature.
                • Brain Fried
                  Tony Cantrell
                  This may help some.
                  • Brain Fried
                    Jeff Mirisola
                    John,
                    Search YouTube. There are tutorial videos posted that may help you along. You can also do an internet search for SolidWorks tutorials. There are a few websites out there that you can pull info from.
                    Whatever you do, don't let your frustration get in the way. There are plenty of us out here who can and will help you as best we can.
                    If, as Steve suggested, you can post a couple of examples, we'll be better able to help you along.
                    • Brain Fried
                      Steve Hutchison
                      One thing to consider is that you may be trying to do too much in one sketch. SolidWorks parts are made up of features. Each feature begins with a sketch. Start out by simplifying your sketches for each feature. For example if you need a block with a hole through it then sketch a rectangle and extrude to the required thickness. Then, create a sketch on one face of the block and sketch and dimension a circle followed by an "extrude-cut". Continue adding features to the block as you need them.

Another thing I have noticed in dealing with AutoCAD drawings is that the geometry does not always match the dimensioned drawing. Poor practice but very common in my experience. I rarely if ever rely on the geometry created in AutoCAD and always model from the dimensioned drawings.
                      • Brain Fried
                        Doug Kuhn
                        see if you can get the books that they use in the class. this might be quicker and a little cheaper than the class. if you are good at learning out of a book, this is definatly the way to go. if you'd rather have the 1 on 1 interaction, all i can say is wait it out, look at some tutorial videos on the internet...and just mess around with solidworks everytime you get a chance.