16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 11:59 AM by Kenneth Barrentine

Notes in a dwg

Sid Humphreys

Good morning all,

I have a dwg that I am creating some notes for.  I write the word "NOTES".  I then hit the enter key once for a space under the word notes.  Then hit it again to start my notes.  I start my first note with the #1 and then type my note.  At the end of that note I hit the enter key to start my next note.  SW automatically gives me the number two and it indents like 10 spaces between the #1 on the previous note and the #2 it just put in for me automatically.  I do not want SW doing this for me.  How can I just do it like I want it.  No indenting.  No numbers when I do not want them.

Please.

Thanks

Sid

• Re: Notes in a dwg
          Glenn Schroeder

Sid,

I don't like the automatic numbering and spacing either and don't use it.  I don't know of a setting to turn off.  You can put a space in front of the numeral 1 to turn it off for individual notes.

Sid Humphreys

Thanks Glenn.  So to have SW NOT do this auto numbering c**p, just put a space before any digit I want huh?

Sid

Glenn Schroeder

Sid,

Once you get a note set up the way you want you can save it as a note Style, then it's always available to use again.  Click on the note to highlight it, then click where shown below to bring up a dialog box where you can name the saved style.  Then when you want to insert this note later just activate the Note command and choose your saved note from the drop-down.

If you want to use this workflow I would recommend opening a new drawing, save Styles of any commonly used notes, then save the drawing template so they will be there for future projects.  You can have generic notes for view labels such as "Elevation View", or you can have notes linked to custom properties, such as my "Part Name"  or "Cut-list name" styles shown in the screenshot.

note style.png

Matthew Lorono

You have a lot control over numbering and indenting in the Bullets and Numbering dialog.  With the parapraph highlighted, right-click and select Bullets and Numbering.

Sid Humphreys

So Matthew, any time I want to type a note of sorts with numbering, I type what I want, SW gives me what it wants, and then I hilite the paragraph and change it BACK to what I want?  Is there a way to just get what I want the first time?  Do I need to set up some sort of doc. template for this?  Does it always default to an indent of 10?

This is frustrating Matthew.

Sid

Matthew Lorono

Sid,

Yes, I'm aware of this fact.  There is currently no interface available to set up to establish document property defaults.  Improving control over bullets and number is something I am looking into.

In the meantime, a simple workaround is to type your first note without a number, then press ENTER and start typing your second note, third note, four note with numbers.  Go back and add a number to your first note.  Edit: Dang it, I completely zoned out on Styles.  Yes, use Styles.

Just so I understand your frustation, what needs to change or be improved to make the automatic numbering behavior work to streamline your work?

Message was edited by: Matthew Lorono

Sid Humphreys

I want to be able to work and not have SW do for me what it thinks I need.  I hate that.  Thats like having the software automatically add constraints in a sketcher where I do not want them.  Let me have the freedom to do as I wish.

I do not need SW thinking for me.

Sid

Deepak Gupta

Why don't you create commonly/repeated used notes in required style and keep them in design library. Then simply you need to drag drop.

Sid Humphreys

I do not HAVE commonly repeated notes.  I want to be able to type what I want when I want.  I have to create all kinds of templates or pre-text notes or whatever simple because SW does not offer the flexibility when typing.

Thank you anyway sir.

Matthew Lorono

Sid,

I get that.  Disabling smartness is always on the table of considerations, even if other smart solutions are also offered simultaneously.  That's easy enough.  What I'm interested in is what can the smart behavior do in order to work for you?  I'm not saying I will not create a disable for the smarts.  I'm asking what we can do to make it smarter for you and your company? 

For example, how do you usually format your general notes?  What is the current behavior doing that doesn't support this format (to the point that you just want it to go away)?

Sid Humphreys

We do not have general notes too often if at all.  We do too much custom design with different chemistry.  Hardly ever do we have similiar assembly work.  The ONLY thing that might even be remotely the same as far as notes would be general notes for plastic parts.

Just remove the smarts and call it a day for me.  Others may see it differently.

Sid

Glenn Schroeder

Matthew Lorono wrote:

what needs to change or be improved to make the automatic numbering behavior work to streamline your work?

Matthew,

I think the option to turn it off might satisfy quite a few people.

Kenneth Barrentine

our drawing templates have a complete list of our notes on the first sheet.

we delete what we don't need for each part.

it's easier to remove than add.