8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2014 4:06 AM by Martin Mervyn

Is there a way of showing lineweights in paper space in Draftsight

Martin Mervyn

Please help me. In Draftsight I can use the options tool to display lineweights in model space. However the same option tool does not work in paper space. All lineweights appear the same in paper space! That is no good! Please help! I have got a job which contains lots of autocad files which I need to change. Fair enough! However lineweight display is important otherwise the job has altered. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem or do I have to spend a £1000 on Autocad light which does not have this problem!

• Re: Is there a way of showing lineweights in paper space in Draftsight
          Jared Conway

have you tried 3ds's swym platform? that is where all the draftsight support is done through

Martin Mervyn

Jared,

I have tried swyn platform but been unable to post a question there or been able to find an answer. Thank you for your reply.

Jared Conway

hi, i would escalate that to your reseller. at hawk ridge, we've had to do that a few times for customers.

Martin Mervyn

Jared, my Draftsight was downloaded as a free version. It was not bought through a reseller. I have tried to get hold of Draftsight direct but without success. Eventually I may need to go through a reseller but as I am aware to get support you need 5 licenses if you go this route.

Jared Conway

resellers can still provide you a connection to solidworks that supports the tool if the free methods of support aren't working

Martin Mervyn

I appreciate your support and help. The resellers are extremely helpful but from conversations they are reluctant to get involved as it will open a floodgate of requests. That is what they have implied. I am getting no joy from getting hold of draftsight direct but I am determined to get hold of them. I will keep trying. Somebody must have an answer. It is the disadvantage of a free software. The backup support is variable and for remote issues it is hard to get support. I will persevere.

John Burrill

Martin, there area  couple of settings that can be affecting the display of lineweights in paperspace.

Printing in Draftsight gets pretty abstract-which is why I used to teach a 1/2 day Printing class for AutoCAD-so I'm going to try to explain the stuff that targets your problem.

OK, if I've read your post correctly, you've got geoemetry in model space that you're viewing through a paperspace viewport and the lineweights are not showing or printing in paper space.

If that's the case, let's try this.

Activate the layout

Go into the Print Dialog box and check the "Scale LineWeight to Print Scale" checkbox.  run a Print Preview and see if your weights look correct.  If they do, click the "Save Configuration" button and give the stupid cfg file a stupid name (AutoCAD stores this information in the drawing, so I don't know why you have to create a seperate file ).  Cancel out of the Print dialog and you should be good.

If that doesn't work, then it's possible you have lineweights turned off or overridden.

Draftsight uses a seperate Print Style  assignment for each layout, so if you're driving lineweights with bycolor Print Style, you'll need to assign that print style to your Print configuration and then assign that print configuration to your tabs.

You do that by activating a layout tab, going into the Print Dialog and clicking the "Additional Options..." button in the lower-left corner. 
                                  That pulls up a small dialog box.  The Print Style Table list is on the bottom right.  Print Style Tables override plot settings for color, linetype and line weight.  So if your Print Style table has lineweight mappings (usually to colors) then your layer and object lineweights are going to be ignored.If it's set to NONE and it's supposed to be set to NONE, then you want your drawing to print with lineweights that you've assigned to layers and entities and the only remaining reason lineweights won't print is that the "Use Assigned Line Weight" checkbox in that same dialog box is unchecked.  If that's the case, check that checkbox, hi OK in the "Additional Print Options" dialog and run "Print Preview"

One of those should get y ou in business.
                                  Here's a picture of the Print dialog box with all of the relevant controls highlighted.

DS_print_lW.PNG

Let me know if I don't understand your problem correctly.

Martin Mervyn

John,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer to my question which I do appreciate. I have tried the print option but still no joy. The fundamental problem is that in model space lines that are shown thick, but in paper space they are not. It would be helpful to view these layers in their intended lineweights but they are all showing a default (thin) line thickness.

Even when I type MS in paper space the viewport still does not show the intended line thicknesses. Ideally I want to just print what is there. Failing that I could convert it to a PDF and hopefully the lineweights will be correct. However If the lineweights are not shown in their correct thickesses I cannot see that happening.

If you have an email adress I could send you the file. The problem exists with all my files. I am very grateful for your support. I have typed in LWDisplay (lineweight display) as you do in autocad and pressed on but the problem still persists. I would be grateful for your advice.

Martin