AnsweredAssumed Answered

SolidWorks deleting duplicate file contents

Question asked by Greg Welch on Feb 21, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 18, 2015 by Alexander Johnny

Has anyone else had problems with SolidWorks 2013 deleting a file from an assembly, or deleting the contents of a part file in an assembly?  This seems to be happening when two assemblies contain parts with the same name, but the two parts exist in different folder.  Here's an example.  I have Assembly A and Assembly B.  These, and all of their components reside in different folders.  Unbeknownst to me, they share a common part with a common name, Part1.  I bring Assembly A and Assembly B together in a third assembly.  At some point, I decide to open Assembly B on its own, and Part1 isn't showing up.  I can see it in the file tree, so I open it up.  It contains nothing but the three basic planes.

We've been running into this and other assembly anomolies, always involving parts that exist under the same name in different folders.  In the past, when faced with duplicate file names, SolidWorks just selects whatever file it gets to first, but now it's getting destructive.  We're using 2013 x64, SP3.0.

Outcomes