AnsweredAssumed Answered

SW2014 License Server Install on Windows 8, and Client Install on same system

Question asked by Matt Carney on Feb 20, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 25, 2014 by Matt Carney

Hello,

(I am a cad user not an IT guy, but I am now acting as IT guy so that I can be CAD guy again...)

We now have a handful of network licenses.

I'm just trying to get SW installed on more than one computer right now.  We are not running a windows server, the rest of our licenses are administered through linux.

So. I installed the 2014 License Server onto my Windows 8.0 Enterprise Desktop cad station that is plugged into a router. I can have a static IP if necessary, for the time being it essentially is static. I then installed a client version of SW also onto the same desktop computer.  This seems to have overwritten the license manager administration capabilities. I installed 2014 SW client on a second laptop but was unable to find the server. 

So, on the desktop i am using as Server: I then uninstalled everything SW related from the original desktop computer. I rebooted.  I then re-installed only the license server. On this second install attempt no questions were asked about my licenses or the server i wanted to setup.  Nevertheless,  I updated my windows firewall to forward the the standard TCP port of 25734 for all connections, all programs (going broad here trying to get the thing to work). I rebooted.

On the client laptop (windows 8.1), I have included a couple different servers all with the 25734@SERVER_NAME.  The server_names i've included are: plain_name, full_name_plus_full_domain, IP address.  None of these are reachable.  I am able to ping the server and receive responses. when I ping the server, the server_name unpacks into the correct IP address as well. so there is a computer there.

I am not sure if this is necessary, but I have set the network workgroup the same for each computer.  I do not have control of the domain where we are operating.  I have also tried plugging a wire from the laptop into the same router the desktop/server is connect to since the wifi puts the laptop on an IP address that is different after the ### on the following address: xxx.xxx.###.xxx.  So now both systems are within the final ip listing xxx.xxx.xxx.###.

I also noticed the SW License manager did not seem to startup automatically, so I started it, and I can see it running as a service. I see the port is forwarding.

So...what do I need to do to get the client and teh server talking to eachother.?

Second question: Is it possible to also run a client install of SW on the same desktop as the Server, or do I need to put together a separate server computer so I can still use my cad station as, well, a cad station.

thanks for any help.

Outcomes