9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2014 2:22 PM by J. Mather

I have this Sketch, I want to bring it into solidworks..

Vinny Cas

Hey guys!

So im very very new to solidworks. Ive been working with it in a project I decided to take on. Problem is im more of a photoshop illustator designer and not so much a engineerer..

That being said here is my problem and Im hoping someone can take the time out of there day to help me out possibly..

So I am making car "rims" and or wheels. they piece of the wheel I am designing is the FACE. With that, i have came up with a amazing turbine style design that I would love to execute but Im not sure how to.. Cut on angles, not extrude completly through a object, how to extrdue on angles etc..

I was mor eor less hoping someone could maybe help me do it if I sent the File, I will attach my Template (what im making the designs in) and the Image i created in another program..

Heres what im trying to Make in solidworks..

8jaj-1.png

And here is what my blanke solidworks template looks like. (i dont need the lip or the barrel of the wheel, just the dish/face part)

Screen Shot 2014-01-18 at 6.00.36 PM.png

Not sure how to dray this Turbine object on the face, I know that the circular linar pattern is the easy part tho.

help!

• Re: I have this Sketch, I want to bring it into solidworks..
          Jeff Mirisola

Vinny,

What you'll want to do is create the inner hub, where your bolt holes will be, and the outer portion of the rim, leaving the 'turbine' part empty. You'll then need to look at using the loft feature to create the turbine blades. Go through the help section on lofts to see how to go about doing this.

The biggest issue I see is that the actual profile of your blades isn't defined in the 2D sketch. This is something that will be necessary to accurately create the solid model.

Vinny Cas

I left the bolt holes blank in order for the company i plan to send the design too to be able to import different bolt patterns in for different options. Ive tried using lofts with no dice.

and what do u mean defined? Im not very well rounded with this program thus why i need the help

Jeff Mirisola

For the CNC company to be able to cut the part, the program needs the 3D geometry. In a 2D drawing, the blades are simply flat. How do you expect them to determine the profile of the blades?

J. Mather

Vinny Cas wrote:

... and what do u mean defined? Im not very well rounded with this program thus why i need the help

Once you have gone through the built-in Tutorials you will understand what it means to be "fully defined" (watch the prompt in lower right corner of graphics window while editing your sketch).  It will be much easier to offer help once you have gone through the basic tutorials.

This should only take a few hours (haven't you been working on this for weeks?).  A small bit of foundation investment of time to do the tutorials could really reduce your development time.

Can you attach the file you imported here?  I think to start we need to get it to the correct units (I don't think you have answered the question about units yet).  Since it appears that most of your (missing) dimensions are perfect (but simply wrong units) it should not take long to fix up the existing geometry.  Once you learn how to do this - SolidWorks will actually do this work for you.

Without fixing the existing problems - we are just "spinning our wheels", no real progress forward.  (pun intended) 

J. Mather

When opening your file - the first thing I notice is that there are no dimensions and no Relations?

Second thing I notice when I add a dimension is that the OD is only Ø17.4mm?

(Is this for a very small toy car?)

I recommend going through the built-in tutorials before starting on this project or you will have great difficulty doing a fairly simple design.

Vinny Cas

I have posted this template before on her and this is always one of the first response's.

Dimensons dont matter right now, im doing the design and once they put the file into the CNC they can scale it up no problems. I just need help with the design portion of this template drawing.

J. Mather

Vinny Cas wrote:

.... this is always one of the first response's.

Dimensons dont matter right now,...

Maybe they do matter.

Maybe they are important.

I don't see any progress on this issue since the first thread, and the cost of change at this point is zero, and will result in significant time savings as the design progresses.  Sounds like an excellent investment to me?  I don't understand how it is any harder to create the sketch at what I assume was intended to be 17.4in rather than 17.4mm?  What are your intended units?  Even for a purely "concept model" a basic "bounding box" size should be defined right from the start.  As I dimension this sketch - many of the dimensions are "perfect" but I would assume wrong units.  It would not take any longer to use the correct units than it does to use the incorrect units.  Probably a simple as selecting the proper import units and SolidWorks will take care of it for you.

I think once you have gone through the tutorials you might change your mind on this.

I think once you submit something for manufacturing and it can't be manufactured (at a reasonable cost or a lot of rework) you might change your mind on this.

"Scaling it up" might not solve design for manufacturing issues.

I think I would start with a single "turbine blade" as a start and not even worry about the simple Revolve just yet.

I would probably make use of some Surface Bodies as construction references.

Kenneth Barrentine

fwiw, scaling complex geometry can sometimes create undesired (unforeseen) results.

Jeremy Feist

I agree with the above statements - a fully defined (to scale) starting part will only help you.

back to your original question.

to bring a sketch into SW we need to know what file type the sketch is. you will get the best results with a vector format (.dwg or .dxf are teh most common, but Ithink AI may have some options).