7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2018 10:03 AM by Josh Mayes

Inserted Part in BOM

Jeff Sweeney

I want the inserted part to appear in the derived part's BOM. Shows up in the contains tab as you would expect, how do I tell EPDM that I want it in the BOM?

• Re: Inserted Part in BOM
          Tim Webb

Jeff, is it a SolidWorks part?

Jeff Sweeney

In this example yes.

If I click on the "machined part" I want the "casting" to show on its BOM.

If this "machined part" is in an assembly, I want both to appear on the assembly's BOM. (It would be okay if the "casting" was a child of  the "machined part".)

Casting.JPG

Tim Webb

I am not aware of a way to do this with SW parts. I've tried this before as well and it won't without creating an assembly or pasting as reference (which may jack up everything)

As you probably already figured, using paste as reference on other non-SW docs, it works.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Charley Saint

Jeff,

I looked into the database on this one, looks like the reference goes in as a type 6 with no information on what configuration it's attached to or anything. As far as I know you can only get BOM info on type 1 references, everything else just shows up in the contains tab. Oddly enough looks like it doesn't even show up on the where used tab for the sub-part unless you pick do not show configurations.

Josh Mayes

Jeff,

I was looking into the same problem to see if any resolution has come about to this long running dilemma, that derived parts (e.g. machined castings) do not allow their structure (e.g. cast or base parts) to display in a SW or PDM BOM.  Did you ever find a good solution, or do you recommend using an assembly to create machined versions of a casting (to support independent PNs and BOM structure for direct export into ERP)?  The limitations of assembly features (although getting better in recent versions) seem to be the biggest drawback to using assemblies, and why so many people do the "Insert Part" method.  Also, Boolean operations are possible with derived parts, which is useful for cases of molded inserts (e.g. Copy Body, then Combine (Subtract)).

Example of indented BOM structure:

-Machined Part 1234568

--- Cast Part 1234567

-----Molded inserts 2345678

Any ideas or workarounds from the community?  What works best for you?

Josh Mayes, CSWE

Jeff Sweeney

I've not yet tested, but I THINK we can do this in 2019?

Josh Mayes

Well, that's good to know of the possibility before changing our standard practice (currently we use derived part).  The main thing we want to accomplish is accurate BOM structure output for drawings and PDM BOMs (to avoid the need to manually add the casting as raw stock).  If inserted parts could be toggled (case-by-case) to either "Show in BOM" or "Exclude from BOM", essentially the same as a part in an assembly, that would solve the problem.  You wouldn't want it always one way or the other (e.g. for mirrored parts, this option would not be useful as the "make from" is only needed in CAD, not representative of the real world structure).  Now, if only this would be available in 2018 SP5!  We will have to wait a year or so to see 2019 improvements, but happy to hear this long standing problem may be soon addressed! Randy Simmons, can you confirm if SW 2019 has provided this functionality?