19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 10:29 AM by Jim Sculley

2014 Weld symbol justification

Philip Lewis

First off I am running 2014 Sp2. I think the enhancements to the weld symbol dialogue are good but I have noticed something and I wasn't sure if it is just us.

When we use the 2nd fillet the text for the root opening and groove angle now go between the 2 symbols which I think is where they should be. The problem is that ours seem to be center justified. If we put a number in with more than 2 charactors (any fraction) the text crosses the line. I can work around this by putting spaces on the front but was wondering if anyone else noticed this? Is there a way to change the text to left justified?

• Re: 2014 Weld symbol justification
          Chris Mueller

Hi Philip,  I am curious as to how you got the root opening and groove angle to show up.  Did you configure that from the weld properties dialog?  Can you post a screenshot showing which fields you put the text in to make the root opening and groove angle appear?

I can't help you with your problem, but I am curious because specifying the root opening and groove angle is now allowed according to the new ISO weld symbol standard. 

Matthew Lorono

Philip, this is unintended behavior (text shouldn't overlap the symbol's lines), so I would recommend contacting your VAR to have the evaluate this scenario.  It seems likely that this could be filed as a bug with a workaround (adding spaces).

Philip Lewis

I contacted my VAR after not getting any replys early on. I have been added through 2 SR's to SPR's 181156 and 143098.

Matthew Lorono

181156 is about adding justification to the various fields.  Do you need justification, or just make sure the text doesnot overlap the lines of the symbol?

Philip Lewis

I think the justification would be the better resolution overall for the weld symbol. Right now the justification is locked at center justified for the root and gap because if there is no second fillet then you would want the text centered over the bevel weld. If it is easier to code that if the second fillet is checked it changes the text to left justified then that would work fine for this. Something connected to this is the tail text. The justification for that doesn't change when the symbol switches from left to right. This can lead to symbols that just look bad.

Capture2.JPG

I think the weld symbols in 2014 are now much better in layout and function but could use a little more tweeking.

Tyler Kemp

This issue is completely perplexing to me. We submitted a change request back when we started using solidworks for ASME work , because we use the second fillet symbol for nearly every weld and the positioning was incorrect. I finally got our software updated from 2012 and noticed that although one part was fixed they completely looked past the text alignment. They must have not even tried it out before submitting it for release. Now I have to hear it from all the solidworks critics here at work that is STILL isnt right..

Matthew Lorono

Tyler, et al,

Thank you for your feedback.  I am actively looking for individuals and companies that are interested in how SOLIDWORKS makes weld symbols and how they can be fix/improved.  I've actually been surprized by the lack of response.  I created another thread about Weld Symbols, to which I believe you recently replied as well.  Thank you for your input!

Would you do me a favor and try out these functions using JIS standard for weld symbols (set it in your Document Properties under Weld Symbols).  We made several improvements to weld symbols under the JIS standard in SW2013 because of several very vocal customers in Japan.  Let me know what you think of the 2nd weld and root behaviors in their weld symbols.  Thanks!

Jim Sculley

With SW 2015 SP 1.1 using the ANSI standard, things have gone from bad to worse.  Here is what you get if you define a single bevel weld with a groove angle and cap fillet:

At this point, the 'Inside' check box next to 'Groove Angle' has no effect whatsoever on the weld symbol.

I can make it a little better by putting space in the text box for 'Root Opening':

Now if you select the 'Inside' checkbox, things improve a little more:

Note that the text still overlaps the vertical line.  Add a space before the 30 in the Groove Angle text box and you have a usable weld symbol:

Jim S.