5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2007 5:04 PM by Anna Wood

where's the traction relation button???

Jim Hilgenberg
      I just installed SW2007 BASIC and updated to SP2.2...but I absolutely cannot find the traction relation button. As far as I know, I've looked everywhere--Dimensions/Relations toolbar, Tools menu, everywhere.

What am I missing here??? (thanks for your help in advance)
        • where's the traction relation button???
          Anna Wood
          Jim,

Check Help for 'blocks, traction' I think this will get you want you need.

Looks like you need to have created a couple sketch blocks in your sketch before you will see the traction relation.

Regards,
              Jim Hilgenberg
              Anna, thanks, but I've done all that and still nothing shows up for me.

Even when I go to Tools, Customize, Commands tab and page thru each and every one of the selections, I don't see the icon for the Traction button as it is shown in Help.

I just don't get it...what could I possibly be doing wrong? The Belt/Chain tool is there and is no problem to use--so why can't I find the Traction tool/relation?

AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! .....this is going to be so stupidly simple and I'm going to be so unbelieveably embarassed once the answer is found... I just know it.
                  Jim Hilgenberg
                  S U C C E S S !!!!!

found the answer on the SW Customer Portal site under Self Service, Search the Knowledge Base, searching for 'traction relation' ... Solution Id: S-09188:

Question: In 'What's new for 2007', SolidWorks makes mention of a traction relation in a sketch. How is this relation added? Topic: 2D Sketch

Answer: Traction relations can only be created between entities in sketch blocks. A good example of a traction relation can be seen by doing the following: In a 2d sketch draw two circles and make each circle into a sketch block. Select the circle in each of the two blocks and "traction" relation will be available in the property manager.

Traction relations can only be created between entities in sketch blocks. Also remember: Only use the 'Fix' relation on the center of one circle. Using fix on additional circles limits the degrees of freedom more than typically intended.

(I feel better now...)
                    Matt Lombard
                    you have to have two blocks together in a single sketch to apply a traction relation. the help is not very clear about this.