5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 7:13 PM by Jerry Steiger

syntactic Foam simulation Model

Pk M

Hi,

I would like to perform static study to analyze effects of hydrostatic pressure on sandwiched composite material made out of syntactic foam & fibre glass (GFRP). For that I created a simulation model of assembly file comprising of two parts - inner core part (syntactic foam) and 0.125 in thick outer skin (Fiber glass).

My question is -  when I right click on part -> define shells by selected faces, I get 3 options - thick wall, thin wall shells & composites.

I am not sure which one to select and not sure if are there any specific settings to properly define these composite materials to obtain better results.Also, I am not sure if I have to model outer skin as surface and give thickness in shell definition. Please take a look at attached screenshot of the model.

I would greatly appreciate if somebody could help me on this.

thanks,

pkpavv.

Solidworks 2012

Simulation Premium,

Win 7 X64.

• Re: syntactic Foam simulation Model
          Jared Conway

the problem is simple enough that you probably don't need to worry about shells

if you're going to use shells, you can certainly convert the outside part to a shell

as for using composites, i don't see any reason to use it in this case unless your outside is multiple layers

but before you decide what method to use, it might be good to ask the question why don't you think you have good results currently?

• Re: syntactic Foam simulation Model
              Pk M

main reason I wanted to give composite material properties is - when I run study by giving material properties, the resultant displacement plot doesn't look right. Find attached screen shots.I took priciple stress P1 plot as this syntactic foam is kind of brittle material. I am gving 4500 PSI on this all around to replicate pressure.Also, I was am unable to get correct material properties (like elastic modulus & poissions ratio) from vendors as they differ for each layer for these composites, especially for GRFP. So I wanted to figure out if it would behave differently with shells.

please take a look at these and let me know what you think.

thank you,

pkpavv

syntactic-foam-displacement.JPGsyntactic-foam-P1.JPG