3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 2:05 AM by Jared Conway

Different Mass Values

Lakhvinder Singh

Hi,

I was modeling a structure and also added a block in one corner of the structure. In Simulation, I had added a custom material to the block, to simulate a very heavy component. If we hover the mouse on the block, it shows the actual value which should be. But when we click on Evaluate/Mass Properties for the block, it shows the mass of the block to be 37 Kgs only (which I am assuming is showing the value of the model environment).

My question is, while doing the simulation, what mass value will be taken into account? Please see attached.

Regards,

LS

• Re: Different Mass Values
          Jared Conway

you've told the software to ignore the solidworks part and use it as a remote mass (with the material defined in simulation) so it will use the remote mass

if you want to check, run the analysis with the option enabled to keep temp files and look at the simulated mass in the .out file (more info in the solidworks kb at customerportal.solidworks.com)

Lakhvinder Singh

Jared,

Thanks. Please see attached file. The block on top right corner is defined as a Remote Mass. It is very heavy compared to the structure. The Remote Mass weighs around 469 tonnes. But which is the CG of the whole structure still showing towards the centre of the structure? The CG should be showing at the centre of the Remote Mass.

Regards,

LS

Jared Conway

Just so im clear, your expectation is for the gravity load icon to show at the cg of the unit including the remote mass?

Let's say the icon doesn't update. How would you validate your model? I do not believe it will sit at the check of the unit with the remote mass because the remote mass is only defined in the sim. My guess is the cg has only shifted slightly because the block has a certain weight in solidworks. In soldiworks it knows it's weight, not the one you've overridden in simulation. Try overriding the weight in solidworks and see if the cg and the load icon end up moving to the right place. But even if it does, you should use the method I described to check it. (Along with a simulation or 2)