10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2014 4:24 PM by Jeremiah Griffith

Solidworks is operating SLOW

jeremy brock

Everything about it is slow. Changing view sizes, opening & closing prints, zooming in and out. I never use to have problems like this. My pc is good, all drivers are up to date. Temp folder is empty, enough room on the pc, enough room on the server. I cannot figure out what is wrong but it is so frustrating when I want to add a simple revision to a part and it takes 3 min to open the assembly, 5min to open the print, couple min to get to the page and add the revision, about 4min to save and close (sometimes it just crashes).

PLEASE HELP BEFORE I LOSE MY MIND!!!

Thank you --- have a nice day

• Re: Solidworks is operating SLOW
          jeremy brock

I guess I should add a couple thing about what I am running.

Dell Precision Workstation T3500

Windows 7 64bit

12gig ram

Intel Zeon CPU W3505 @ 2.53GHz (2CPUs)

NVIDIA Quadro 600

Dual Monitors

Running Solidworks 2014 SP2.0

Afterage assembly about 1300 parts (Parts, subassemblies, fasteners)

CPU - Solidworks.png

John Burrill

Jeremy, are you pulling these files from the network or do you have a PDM system that serves them locally?

jeremy brock

I wish I had PDM. I pull it off the server because there are different departments that need to view the prints. I am the only prodruct designer at this company using solidworks so I dont need to share my models with anyone. If it wasnt for those departments I would run off my pc and just backup to the server. The server is probably a couple years old. With the hard drive being upgraded tomorrow because atm we have  46gb free of 300gb and we are getting 3tb installed.

John Burrill

Well, pulling 1000+ parts from the server can be problematic especially if your server is shared by other departments and is put under load.  The thing about SolidWorks is that it is always going to the source file and reading it in segments, so if your network pipe has a lot of traffic, those individual calls are going to get bogged down, which is why you're seeing slowdowns in viewing operations as well as open and save. 

Try an experiment.  Use pack and go to copy an assembly tree to your local hard drive, open that and see if working off of it is easier than pulling from the server.

I have a suggestion.  If your other departments just need prints, why don't you just keep PDF's of your assemblies on the server and store the solidworks files locally.  Better yet, if you have SolidWorks Professional, set up a Workgroup PDM vault because even if you're the only designer, it's much easier to manage and organize files in a vault than it is to do it in Windows Explorer.

Chase Draper

Upgrading the switch helps but with large assemblies it would be best if you could work locally.  Might try large assebmly mode and setting all componenets to light weight but it probably wont help much.

Jeremiah Griffith

Sounds like the best solution would be to use SolidWorks Proffesional and install Workgroup PDM on the server.

Workgroup would allow you to work locally but store all of your changes on the server. Trying to open a 1000+ part assembly file on your system over ANY network is going to present issues. We used to do it that way and Workgroup made a HUGE difference.