15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2014 4:35 AM by Denzil Searle

Solidworks flaky

Denzil Searle

Stuck on SW2010 SP0.0 here due to the huge subscription cost. I am getting thoroughly cheesed off with its strange behaviour and constantly falling over with complex models. There isn't enough space to go into all the problems, but I am trying to finish a part and have wated so many hours... It hides the first feature every few moves making the part invisible. It often just makes the part invisible for no apparent reason. A "System Maintenance" clearout with the RX tool fixes it for a while, until the next time. I've lost count of how many times I have restarted SW today. Apparently simple sketch-extrudes result in nonsense surfaces, and I have to keep trying to create the feature I want in several different different ways until I find one that works. Fillets don't work, it doesn't tell me why, and I have to keep trying different combinations at random until I get an awkward mish-mash that isn't too far from what I want.

So, simple question, honestly, are later versions of SW any more reliable? I might be able to make a case for an upgrade if I can actually do some work with it.

• Re: Solidworks flaky
          Matt Martens

While I can't attest to 2014, Dassault did make a concerted effort in the transition from 12 to 13 to clean up a lot of the code to make it run more efficiently. At my previous employer, where I was when I moved from 12 to 13, we were experiencing a lot of crashes prior to upgrading. We noticed a considerable drop when we upgraded to 13. That's not to say that with the newer features and everything else that comes when you have a complete new release that some of the issues haven't returned in 14.

I would suggest upgrading based on the mere fact that support will get harder and harder to come by. If the management is completely opposed to spending the money on the upgrade, the best advice I can offer is to get more RAM (RAM is a comparatively cheap upgrade) or update your video card, as these can help to alleviate some of the performance issues.

Jeff Mirisola

People are always quick to blame the software without taking into account environmental conditions. Can SolidWorks be tempermental? You bet. But before you summarily blame the software, how about we try to find the cause of your issues? It very well may be the software, but it may not be.

Where you are apparently running Rx often, I'm assuming that you've run the diagnostics and everything is checking out? No, conflicts? Your graphics card and driver are up to snuff? What are your system specs?

Is the part actually hidden, as in the icon in the tree shows it as hidden, or is it just not showing in the graphics area? Have you ever reinstalled SolidWorks in the past 4 years? When I was an AE, we'd reinstall every six months or so to freshen things up. Instead of running the Rx tool, download ccleaner from piriform and use it. I've been using it for years to help keep my system clean and it'll purge dangling dll's from your registry as well.

Can you post the problem file so we can take a look?

Ian Worrall

Don't just clean up your software. a nice, thick coating of dust on your CPU heatsink can cause overheating issues.

Denzil Searle

Core i7 2600, 8GB RAM, Win7 64-bit, Nvidia Quadro FX4600 running the SW approved driver. Green ticks everywhere on the RX diagnostics. I have been using CCleaner for years as well, and run it once a week anyway. SW last reinstalled a few months ago.

Sometimes the top feature is shown as hidden, in which case I can just show it. Sometimes it is shown as shown, everything is still there because I can select surfaces and edges, but the part is invisible, and there is nothing I can do to bring it back except restart SW several times or run RX to clear out all the SW temporary files.

It isn't just that, though, its the long list of things that don't work properly. Some are the kind of minor annoyance that you find in all software. Some of it is weird stuff that appears for a while and disappears - like the custom part property field "Description" where the text would disappear as soon as I hit OK. It did that for months and then suddenly went back to normal. Equations don't work at all. Search doesn't work at all, gives me a script error every time. Biggest of all at the moment is the illogical results of features. Company policy prevents me posting a file, but imagine a cast baseplate with lofts to create the outside shape, shelled, then various bosses, cuts, fillets etc added underneath. Some features create weird shapes that simply shouldn't be, so I am spending hours trying to model the same simple feature in different ways in an effort to find something that works.

Alin Vargatu

Ask your VAR to give you a 30 day license of SW2014 and test your parts. Make sure that you do that on a machine certified for 2014.

Joe Kuzich

SW is certainly flaky.  As Jeff mentioned the more you learn the software the less issues you will have.  I have had a lot of issues with it and still do, but much less. She's a quirky gal for sure.  You may not know why she doesn't like something you did but you will know she doesn't like it and can try to avoid it later. 

I still have certain parts/assemblies or views in drawings that go invisible now and then.  Sometimes a ctrl+Q fixes it but changing it the display style to another style and then back almost always works and seams faster.

Justin Harwell

short answer no. I have Solidworks 2014 and honestly the fact the we bought a new program and its still problematic has caused a great deal of tension at my work. There is some minor coding fixs on each solidwork upgrades. Joe said it best "she's a quirky girl", I total support using ccleaner to help with any errors. But for the most part it is just getting comfortable with it and testing where the coding issues are, I have been known to use glitches to kind of trick the computer to do what I want,

This is not just a Solidworks issue, other 3d software have similar issues, and sometimes the same glitches. Every program is going to have its limitations and that is just something you must consider when purchasing any program.

Have you checked your graphics card? alot of what you are talking about does sound a bit like a graphics card issue even if it is updated you may want to consider uninstalling the card and reinstalling it,

M. B.

SW2010 SP0, 1, & 2 almost put me out of business for several months because of new problems with existing models that worked flawlwessly on my previous SW version.  If I remember correctly SW2010 was the first release for Windows 7. 

You should upgrade but don't make the mistake I did by converting every previously created file to the newer release.  Keep backups of all the 2010 fies and test the more important and complex files on SW2014 before commiting.  Sad but now 1/3 of every new SW release makes me tenative and worried.

Alin Vargatu

It is also a good idea to do incremental saves on your files. So when you upgrade from 2010 to 2014, install SW 2011, 2012 and 2013 on a machine and run Task Scheduler to convert the files incrementally from 2010 to 2011 to 2012 to 2013 and finally to 2014.

Back-up!!!

Denzil Searle

I am backing up this particular part every few moves, believe me! I have noticed the problems sometimes go away for a while if save a copy with a different name and open that. If I then delete the original and rename the copy to the same name as the original the problems come back. This implies there are temp files asociated with that particular name which are corrupting it somehow. This fits with running RX to clear the temp files out.

Oh well, time to start begging, I suppose!

Denzil Searle

I feel your pain! Whenever we have upgraded in the past the files have always been converted as required. Far too risky to do them all in one go.