8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 11:48 AM by Ken Whitcher

Multiple Part Orientation When Inserting Into An Assembly

Ken Whitcher

When using INVENTOR, I can choose to have multiple instances of the same component inserted into the assembly, oriented the same way. From there, I use constraints to align the components to their proper locations.

Can the same be done with SOLIDWORKS?

Once the components are brought into the assembly, I'd still use constraints to properly place them, but when inserting multiple components, it would be nice to have them already turned around, facing the proper direction, leaving me with just having to use 1 or 2 constraints.

• Re: Multiple Part Orientation When Inserting Into An Assembly
          Glenn Schroeder

Welcome to the forum.  After inserting the components, you can use "Multiple mate mode" to place a series of identical mates to multiple components.  (It's the paper clip with lightning bolt icon in the Mate Selections section of the Mate PropertyManager).  I think that should do what you want.

Jeremy Feist

it also sounds like you could get some mileage out of the "copy with mates" command.

Dwight Livingston

. . . you can also hold down the control key and drag a component in the graphics area to create a copy with the same orientation, located where you drop it. This does what I think you describe, and the copies don't have mates. The methods offered by Glenn and Jeremy may be more useful.

Ken Whitcher

My mistake.

I should have phrased my question a little better.

The problem is that the original component that I bring in is NOT oriented the correct way.

In INVENTOR, I can go to -

TOOLS  >  APPLICATION OPTIONS  >  ASSEMBLY

Then select "USE LAST OCCURRENCE ORIENTATION FOR COMPONENT PLACEMENT".

Once the "LAST OCCURRENCE" option has been selected, I can bring in the original component, orient it the way I want it to face. Then, every time I bring in more of the same component, they all will now come in, and be at the same orientation that I placed the original component at (turned the same way / rotated the same way). All I have left to do is constrain them.

If the "LAST OCCURRENCE" button is NOT selected, then it works like SOLIDWORKS does, where every time I bring in another one of the same component, they always come in the same way, based on which plane they were designed on.

Is there a selection button like this in SOLIDWORKS?

Is there another way to make this happen?

UPDATE

I don't know if there is an actual fix in SOLIDWORKS, but I found a way around my problem.

• I bring in the original component;
                • Orient it to the way I want it to face;
                • Constrain it;
                • Then, for every additional insertion of that same component, I LMB click on the original component in the FeatureManager Design Tree, then, CTRL + C;
                • Then, CTRL + V, placing the new components into the drawing area.

The new components are brought into the drawing area, at the same orientation as the original component.

I still have to constrain them, but at least they are facing the correct way.