8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2014 5:20 AM by Shon Owl

Power Surfacing Plug In

John Fishman

I'm looking at the Power Surfacing Plug In from N Power Software.  I'm asking if anyone

has been using it and how do you like it? Do you find it adds value beyond what the native

SW surfacing tools offer?  Seems like it does, but just wanted to ask others how they're findind it.

thanks.

• Re: Power Surfacing Plug In
          Rick McWilliams

I use geometryworks GW3D add in to get beautiful precision swoopy surfaces for airplane shapes. I especially like the various kinds of conic surfaces. There are also some very nice fearures based on curves. The geodesic mapping of a compound surface to a plane is good for cored composites.

I am also interested in power surfacing. I hope to learn from responses to your posting.

Rob Rodríguez

If you create a lot of "free form" shapes its a great product and in my opinion worth every penny of the cost.  You have to remember though it is a bit of a different mindset to model creation.  That's not bad or good just different.  PowerSurfacing is Sub-d modeling right inside of SolidWorks.  It's not so much about sketches and planes and lofts and sweeps and.............its about taking a shape, spliting it into more faces and pushing/pulling the faces, points, edges to achieve the shape you need.  Once you have the shape the sub-d geometry is converted to NURBS and the "engineering" work is done in SW using the normal SW tools.

If you do a lot of organic, complex shape creation you should REALLY give it a try.  It will speed up the process and make creating these types of shapes a whole lot easier.

Shon Owl

So slows down this addition that more simply and quicker to make it standard functionality from a SW palette. Believe is so ! ! !

Jerry Steiger

John,

I think what Shon is saying is that he believes that he can make free form shapes more quickly and easily using standard SolidWorks tools than with the Power Surfacing plug-in. Looking at all of the amazing work that Shon has done with SolidWorks, it may very well be true for him. (Although he might find that he could eventually be faster with the plug-in, given enough practice.) For we mere mortals, the Power Surfacing plug-in may be the way to go. I seem to recall that Mark Biasotti was very happy to use it on parts of his Porsche project. And Mark is certainly no slouch at surfacing with SolidWorks!

Jerry S.

Rob Rodríguez

I thought Shon was doing the majority of his surfacing in Zbrush and then bringing the geometry into SW for the final work?

Jerry Steiger

Rob,

You certainly could be right. I don't remember reading anything about the particulars of how Shon does what he does. I was just trying to make sense out his reply. It's very easy for me to believe that I didn't get any of it right.

Jerry S.

Rob Rodríguez

LOL.  Well, its entirely possible I'm not correct.  I thought I heard, read somewhere that he was using Zbrush to model the complex stuff?  Eitherway the work is just amazing.  Maybe he'll post here and let us know.  I couldn't follow his earlier reply either.

Shon Owl

It is surprised that you don't trust me that everything is created in SW. Though to me this opinion is indifferent.... You will work in it since 1999 and not you will draw the such.

ALLWAYS WITHOUT FREEFORM !!!!!!

I somehow wrote that ZBrush used only at the end for small correction of a form in respect of change of a beard or moustaches and that not always.

Parametrization of SW allows to change quickly the created person or a shape of other body on the basis of the already created. Actually in ZBRUSH it is possible some even to create quicker than the person that too admires. Who both wants that and does. In principle created in браше the image having kept in STL it is possible to insert into SW and to alter - but it is necessary to modify a grid and number of ranges (that will probably harden transitions)....