10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 2:17 PM by Robert Bedford

Hole Tables are frustrating

Robert Bedford

Why are hole tables so difficult to work with? Why can't they work more like spreadsheets? When I have holes that aren't perpendicular to the drawing plane, each hole, (even though they are the same size and identical in every way except location) is listed as a seperate size. I can't combine them.

• Re: Hole Tables are frustrating
          Matthew Lorono

Robert,

Technically, if a hole is on a separate plane, that is a separate operation and some customers prefer to have it appear separately as a result.  However, I can also see why some users would like to be able to combine hole callouts.  What type of holes do you usually wish to combine?

Robert Bedford

Matthew,

What I would like is to be able to create a hole table that includes all the holes that pierce a surface, whether they are perpindicular to that surface or enter on an angle. It would be nice to have some kind of selection tool that would allow me to pick all holes of certain size also. When I have a plate that has several hundred holes in it, and engraving on it, I can't just pick the surface because the software decides that the engraving is some sort of hole and tabulates alot of junk. I then have to manually select each and every hole.

John Lhuillier

Robert Bedford wrote:

When I have a plate that has several hundred holes in it, and engraving on it, I can't just pick the surface because the software decides that the engraving is some sort of hole and tabulates alot of junk. I then have to manually select each and every hole.

I agree with this. A hole table should only show holes that form a complete diameter rather than a radius. After all it is called a HOLE CHART and not a RADIUS CHART. Why it picks the radii of text to include in a hole table is beyond understanding because that's not even a hole. One of the things that I have done is where I want to engrave text in a surface that I know I'm going to use a hole table is to create a cut extrude that's only .0001 deep so that the engraved text face is not on the same face as the holes I need called out. Then just hide the edges of the cutout in the drawing.

Anna Wood

I do not agree with this.....  We regularly have hole wizard holes that have a chunk machined out so they are no longer complete diameters.  I need those holes to show properly in my hole charts.  There needs to be a distinction between things like text and actual hole wizard holes.  It can't be a blanket control that all hole table holes must be complete rounds.

Cheers,

Anna

Tom Helsley

I haven't used hole tables very much, but the times that I have I ran into only one problem.  There is no control over the order in which the hole labels are chosen.  Take the following example:

I have a part with several holes all of one size and several of another size, in a hole pattern of some sort, and I want to use the hole table to not only annotate the sizes, but the locations.  So the first set of holes are labeled A1 through A8, and the second set of holes are labeled B1 through B4.  Everything is okay so far.  I don't care which holes are A-holes (my favorite hole table joke), and which holes are B-holes.  I want to control the order of the numbers afterward.  Sometimes, the lables appear in a staggered, random fashion (e.g. A1 is in the lower right-hand corner, and A2 is in the upper right hand corner of the view, and all the others are somewhere in between).  As a reader, I would expect them to be in a visually sequential order, either clockwise / counterclockwise about the hole pattern / center of the view, or in some sort of liner fashion.  Sometimes, I get lucky, but other times, not.  I tried manually dragging rows up and down but the labels on the holes didn't update and the table didn't re-number.  Is there a way to change the order?

Fortunately for me, all of my holes were on the same surface, so I haven't seen Robert's problem, but I understand his frustration and agree with his thought process.

Jacqueline More

I find this lack of control extremely frustrating as well. We have (for example) a new customer model with minor revisions to it and CNC and CMM programming are done off of our models. To not be able to maintain the hole callouts from Rev - to Rev A adds a LOT of work on 2 other operations or mine to create a new column to indicate WAS A1 now B33 so they can re-program their inspection reports etc. I have tried picking the holes in the order I want them on the table, that fails. I have tried to find ways to edit the annotations, that fails. Short of creating a regular old table and then losing the link between a hole wizard table and the model, what options are there to customize this and control the callouts??

Jeremy Welter

I second that complaint.  I was recently asked to redraw one of our customer’s parts so we could modify the design a bit.  I would like to have been able to use the same hole lettering that they did but unfortunately I'm left dependent on what solidworks choses to label each hole.  This seems like a pretty major issue to have lingered around for so long.

Robert Bedford

I hole heartedly agree with all the comments. (sorry, I couldn't resist). Solid Works should put some effort into solving these problems. I did figure out that I can supress the engraving, make the hole table, then unsupress the engraving to get around that one problem. The lack of control over the numbering of the holes is irritating and the lack of a way to select only certain size holes without having to select them one at a time is a time waster.