4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2007 2:48 PM by SolidWorks Corp

Cosmos Basics

Charles Heidenreich
      Hello,

We have Cosmos Express and are using the package to verify theplate will be able to retain 3 pressurized sample valves. The sample valves will have a fairly continuous 166 lbs of forcebehind each one of them or 500 lbs total. There will be 3 316 10-32stainless FHCS fastening the plate to the manifold.

I've run cosmos on the plate, attached, in u-shape and flat formwith mixed results. What I don't understand is that even thoughunder the load options I have lbs force selected cosmos spits theresults out in pressure. How can I get cosmos to display if theforce I entered is going to deform the plate or not?

Also, what does the 'Deformation Scale' number equate to?

Obviously I'm green in FEM, FOS and Cosmos, so, any help ordirection is appreciated!

Thanks!

Charlie
        • Cosmos Basics
          Jeff Mirisola
          While I'm far from an FEA guru, it looks like your restraint isn't working properly. It seems to me that the restraint is going in the same direction as the load. This will skew your results. That being said, it is giving you the info you need to determine if the force is going to deform the plate. If you know the strength of the material, you can correlate that to the deformation scale numbers.
          Did that make sense?
            • Cosmos Basics
              Charles Heidenreich

Originally posted by: Jeff Mirisola While I'm farfrom an FEA guru, it looks like your restraint isn't workingproperly. It seems to me that the restraint is going in the samedirection as the load. This will skew your results. That beingsaid, it is giving you the info you need to determine if the forceis going to deform the plate. If you know the strength of thematerial, you can correlate that to the deformation scale numbers.Did that make sense?

Thanks for your reply. How would I correlate the deformation scalenumbers to the strength of the material? The yield strength ofthe stainless plate is about 30,000 psi.

Charlie
            • Cosmos Basics
              David Arthur
              Charlie,
              Cosmos spits out the results in pressure because that is the correct unit for stress. Stress and displacement are the typical outputs of FEA. You have to compare the stress results obtained from the analysis with the yield strength of the material.

For the type of restraint cosmosexpress uses, it doesn't matter that the applied force is pointing towards the restraint. Cosmosexpress fixes a surface when it is specified as a restraint. This means it can't move in any direction.

As for the deformation scale. A deformation scale of 1 means you see the actual amount the part would deform if restrained and loaded as per the analysis. A deformation scale of 25 means you see 25 times the actual deformation. Cosmosexpress does this to exagerate the amount of deformation so you can see it clearly.

Hope some of this helps.