6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 7:42 AM by Jared Huffman

How to Copy Project Name from Assembly to All Parts and Subassemblies

Jared Huffman

I design vey specialized equipment, so the part numbers and properties are project-specific.  I show the project name on the drawing of each component to help keep them organized. 

Currently, I use custom properties generated from the Property Tab Builder to assign all the various properties for each component or subassembly.  However, the project name is the same on every drawing, so it is not a good idea to enter it every single time. 

To reduce that repetition, I use Advanced Select (searching for SLDPRT) from the top level assembly and assign the project name property to all parts at once.  Then I repeat that for all subassemblies (searching for SLDASM), and then once again for the top level assembly because advanced select doesn't include that. 

Is there a way to only enter the project name once rather than three times? 

Thank you so much for any help you can offer! 

• Re: How to Copy Project Name from Assembly to All Parts and Subassemblies
          Chase Draper

Alin Vargatu did a presentation about this at world but i think advance select only drops down one level.  If you can find him on here and shoot him a message i'm sure he would be the best to ask

Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SolidWorks forums Jared.

Here is a macro you can look at https://forum.solidworks.com/message/128301#128301

You might also find this post helpful for your future reference.

Jared Huffman

Thanks for the help! I wasn't able to find a single post that answers my question; that's why I started this thread. I am very new to VBA and using macros with SolidWorks, so it is difficult to troubleshoot any issues that come up. 

I will keep trying. I should be able to combine this post about how to write to a property (https://forum.solidworks.com/message/128301#128301) with a post about how to get a specific property value (https://forum.solidworks.com/message/366446#366446) and a post that works within an assembly to write a custom property to all the subcomponents (https://forum.solidworks.com/message/255198). 

I will update this thread on how it goes. Thanks again. 

Jared Huffman

The macro is working now. 

It does these 3 things:

1. Add assembly quantity property to each component
                    2. Add stock description property to each component
                    3. Copy the project title entered at the top level assembly to each component

#3 is the one I was adding via this thread.  Thanks again for the help! 

FYI I referenced 3 posts:

''Originally an equation built by Josh Brady of the Solidworks Forums

''WILL AUTO SUM THE QUANTITY OF UNIQUE PARTS IN ALL ASSEMBLIES WHEN RAN FROM THE TOP ASSEMBLY.

''CURRENTLY NEED TO MANUALLY ADD CUSTOM PROPERY 'Cfg4Qty'-'Text'-'Default' TO TOP LEVEL ASSEMBLY BEFORE RUNNING

Sub UpdateQtys()

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks 'added this line

Dim Assembly As ModelDoc2 'added this line

Dim myAsy As AssemblyDoc

Dim myCmps

Dim Cfg As String

Dim CmpDoc As ModelDoc2

Dim i As Long

Dim j As Long

Dim cCnt As Long

Dim NoUp As Long

Dim myCmp As Component2

Dim tCmp As Component2

Dim ProjTitle As String 'The variable for storing the assembly Project Title

Dim tm As Double

tm = Timer

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks 'added this line

Set Assembly = swApp.ActiveDoc 'added this line

Set myAsy = Assembly

If Assembly.ConfigurationManager.ActiveConfiguration.name <> Assembly.CustomInfo2("", "Cfg4Qty") Then

Assembly.Extension.ShowSmartMessage "Qtys not updated due to config", 1000, True, True

Exit Sub

End If

ProjTitle = myAsy.CustomInfo2(Cfg, "ProjectTitle") 'Read the project title from the assembly

NoUp = 0

myCmps = myAsy.GetComponents(False)

For i = 0 To UBound(myCmps)

Set myCmp = myCmps(i)

If (myCmp.GetSuppression = 3) Or (myCmp.GetSuppression = 2) Then

cCnt = 0

Set CmpDoc = myCmp.GetModelDoc

Cfg = myCmp.ReferencedConfiguration

For j = 0 To UBound(myCmps)

Set tCmp = myCmps(j)

If tCmp.GetSuppression <> 0 Then

If tCmp.GetModelDoc2 Is CmpDoc Then

If tCmp.ReferencedConfiguration = Cfg Then

cCnt = cCnt + 1

End If

End If

End If

Next j

CmpDoc.AddCustomInfo3 Cfg, "AutoQty", 30, ""

CmpDoc.AddCustomInfo3 Cfg, "QtyIn", 30, ""

CmpDoc.CustomInfo2(Cfg, "AutoQty") = cCnt

CmpDoc.CustomInfo2(Cfg, "QtyIn") = Assembly.GetTitle & " Cfg " & Assembly.ConfigurationManager.ActiveConfiguration.name

''Added Stock Description Custom Property to be used in BOM

CmpDoc.AddCustomInfo3 Cfg, "StockDescription", 30, ""

CmpDoc.CustomInfo2(Cfg, "StockDescription") = "$PRP:" & Chr(34) & "HasDiameter" & Chr(34) & "$PRP:" & Chr(34) & "StockThickness" & Chr(34) & "$PRP:" & Chr(34) & "HasWidth" & Chr(34) & "$PRP:" & Chr(34) & "StockWidth" & Chr(34) & "$PRP:" & Chr(34) & "HasWall" & Chr(34) & "$PRP:" & Chr(34) & "StockWall" & Chr(34) & " x $PRP:" & Chr(34) & "StockLength" & Chr(34) & " LG"

''Added Project Title Custom Property as read from assembly

CmpDoc.AddCustomInfo3 Cfg, "ProjectTitle", 30, ""

CmpDoc.CustomInfo2(Cfg, "ProjectTitle") = ProjTitle

Else

NoUp = NoUp + 1

End If

Next i

Assembly.Extension.ShowSmartMessage NoUp & " Parts not updated due to lightweight (" & Timer - tm & "s)", 10000, True, True

End Sub