4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2014 11:47 PM by Todd McCollum

free existing BOM template files

Todd McCollum

Does anyone know of a reputable website or a location on this site or content central or such that has existing BOM template files too choose from and use?  This seems like it would be a fairly common request but find next to nothing on this site or the web in general when I search for this.  Any help would be appriciated.

• Re: free existing BOM template files
          Deepak Gupta

Why you need to search around when SolidWorks itself has inbuilt template you can use and modify as required

• Re: free existing BOM template files
              Todd McCollum

I have not found a decent tutorial on the overall function and set up of the BOM for solidworks.  The tutorials have you open an assembly file that already has properties, links, duct-tape and what ever else in place so that when you follow simple step number what-ever in the totorial that says to insert the BOM - walla - looky there - what a sweet looking BOM.  Then it goes into how to tweak the thing into submisions.  They all miss the story about the guts to getting it to that level.  If you have a pdf document or a link to a tutorial of such that takes the BOM from truely the begining to end that would be great.  I spent about 5 hours messing with custom properties in the part files and assebly files and messing with the BOM layout settings.  I finally got a BOM that has what I need.  Granted my major ignorance on setting it up had my blood boiling by time it looked right.  I could not do it again efficiently if my life depended on it since I did so many things before it looked right.  A schematic similar to an electrical or hydraulic road map that shows how all data components are related to generate a custom BOM would be a great reference source.

With that stated - a batch of BOMs that have been set up to chose from would reduce the viens in my forehead.  OOPS that was a long-winded reply boardering on a rant...

Todd

BTW - I do greatly value your feed back in the forum.  I have learned a ton in the last two months from you replies to many other posted questions.  Keep up the great work.