5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 2:58 AM by Peter De Vlieger

BOM "Creep"

James Elston

I have always been not just a fan but an advocate for SW, but lately I'm quite pissed about one thing in particular. The BOM in SW is very unstable. Excluded items my come back, part with not keep the same item number (EVEN WHEN I LOCK BOM NUMBERS), Description change, I have never really had a huge problem with this before, but when using routing which will probably be another post, it's a disaster. Comments? Recommendations?

• Re: BOM "Creep"
          Deepak Gupta

James, I would suggest you to please report any issues to your VAR as this can be related to installation or some file corruption.

Glenn Schroeder

I've also had problems with excluded items coming back.  I've found that if I hide it instead it will stay hidden.  (Drag it to the bottom before hiding so there won't be a gap in the balloon numbers.)  I know no one likes workarounds, but you might try that.

James Elston

This works to get the drawing out, but i end up paying for it dearly if i have to open the drawing again! the hidden items are back and i spend a lot of UNNECESSARY time (billable hours) reorganizing so that contractors/shop people don't have to completely recheck a drawing for the parts they need because the numbers changed. Dude, i am so pissed right about now!!

Glenn Schroeder

I don't blame you for being unhappy.  I'm surprised that hidden rows are coming back.  I've never had that happen.  Just to clarify, you're highlighting the whole row in the BOM, right-clicking on in, and choosing "Hide" from the drop-down?  And it comes back when you open the drawing later?

Peter De Vlieger

Especially in Routing it can be a major bother because balloon numbers don't 'lock'.

What is number 5 can be 8 or 22 or 3 next time you open the drawing if you dared to alter anything at all on the routing assembly.

It can even be enough to just open the assembly and doing a rebuild to have numbers change on the BOM.

This indeed means that everytime a drawing is opened that the entire BOM has to be re-checked and re-ordered just so that the end result of the BOM is as identical as can be to the former version.

Your best bet is to only put a BOM on the definate finally version that goes out but seeing that in the real world there's always alterations, changes and things that go wrong it will lead to having to re-make a BOM a few times.