9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2014 7:45 PM by Andi H

Small companies pay better than big companies?

Andi H

This something od I have noticed. I remember not too long ago after graduating from school I would apply to countless companies and engineering firm looking for 3D designer position solidworks. Very often small companies would advertise jobs with higher rate of pay. There is a big engineering firm here in philly they offered me 15 hr lol I applied to another smaller comany they offered me 30 hr. Even now when I look to expand my freelancing work. I had intreview with a big multi million dollar company I mean they make a killing they offered me 25 hr for SW 3d designer positon, I had a different interview with smaller company they guy there offered me 40 hr. Shouldnt it be the other way around? How come the smaller guys pay a lot better?

• Re: Small companies pay better than big companies?
          Ian Worrall

Multi-million dollar organizations are multi-million dollar organizations beacause they like to give those dollars to shareholders, not employees.

Mike Pogue

I've worked for a $4B USD/year company, a 150M/year company and an 11M/year company. My small sample size indicates smaller companies pay less. I've always thought the reason is that the bigger the comapny is, the less it really matters to the guy you are negotiating with what you earn, as long as you are inthe band for teh position

Chris Michalski

From the guys I've talked to and my experience, the difference is largely due to responsibility. 

In a team of 20 engineers the work is spread around.  If you are truly exceptional you get promoted to manage the team (with a pay raise). 

In a team of 4 engineers each player is key, so in order to ensure they get and retain the best people they pay a bit more.

The tradeoffs are that smaller companies typically don't offer the other benefits of the big ones plus many smaller companies aren't as rock-solid stable.

Andi H

How about this. When I was in school I was intern illustrator I was getting 30 hr for illustrations after graduating a company offered me internship as Industrial Designer 3d designer at 15 hr? lol

J. Mather

Is there a relevant point there?

When I was in school I was a part time Application Engineer (CAD Demo Jockey) for a local Value Added Reseller (VAR) getting paid $130/hr per demo.  But that was only on-demand, as needed, not a full time position.  The company only had a need of my services for a few hours a month.  Not a few hrs a day or even a few hrs a week.

Without context - there isn't a lot of meaning to the numbers.

Andi H

I meant to say How can illustration pay better than 3d? and the illustration studio was samll 3-5 people, the Industrial design firm was 100-200 which goes back to my point smaller companies paying better than bigger ones.

Anna Wood

What benefits are there with those jobs?  That is part of the complete pay package, not just dollars an hour.  That is the point J. Mather is trying to make.

More dollars an hour with a poor benefits/vacation package may not be as good as less dollars an hour with a nice benefits and vacation package.  You want to compare the total compensation package.

Maybe top notch Illustrators were much harder to come by so the smaller company paid more for the top quality talent that had a big impact on the company's bottom line for profits. 

FWIW,

Anna

Andi H

I never bother with benefits anymore. I got sick 5 or so years ago went to doctors blood tests few times emergency room xrays, catsancs and blood tests and in end Nothing. I gave up on doctors a long time ago. lol

I dont care much about benefits I dont even bother asking. the Illustrator job was straight check no taxes or benefits

The Industrial deisgner firm Im guessing would have provided benefits. The real thing is maybe the guys at the illustrator job made few hundred thousand a year, the other firm it literally makes tens of millions every year. I guess you dont get rich by paying people well