6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2014 8:39 PM by Walter Fetsch

Step vs. Iges

Gerald Davis

I like the STEP format for data exchange - http://www.thefabricator.com/article/shopmanagement/your-friend-the-step-file

What's your opinion?

• Re: Step vs. Iges
          Jerry Steiger

Gerald,

I usually have less problems with STEP than with IGES. Every once in a while I run into a file that seems work better with IGES than STEP, but that is very rare.

Jerry S.

Walter Fetsch

Wow, I'm suprised that you guys like STEP because I have problems with the vast majority of the STEP models that I import.  I HATE using the STEP format because the parts almost always import with incurable errors.  Of course, there doesn't seem to be a universal format that is better.  Parasolid works great, but most people don't use it.

Anna Wood

Walter,

Probably has more to do with the CAD software the file was exported from.  Open the step file in Notepad and read the header info.  Would not surprise me if you start to see a consistent trend on which cad package exports error riddled step translations.

FWIW,

Anna

J. Mather

#1 STEP (as a neutral format)

#2 Parasolid, or ACIS or  (one of the proprietary formats)

#3 IGES

If the person exporting the file knows what they are doing there is really no reason why one should be better than the other.

In my experience the problem starts before the export.  The old garbage in - garbage out adage...