I have a similar issue. Edrawings will not allow preview in Windows explorer.
Same here, I can preview the previous version but not on new version 2014
The only solution that I have found is install the solidworks explorer program. There you can preview it. It is very similar looking to the regular windows explorer.
I too have this problem. I am thinking it may work if these files were saved as edrawing files instead of solidworks files? I am in the exact same situation where the guys in the shop need access to prints. They have a very hard time locating the drawing and a simple preview would really help.
Hopefully this gets fixed, However, thanks for the tip. I will have IT install Solidworks on that machine.
I think this issue is the same as this one eDrawings preview in windows explorer .
Problem affects non CAD stations mainly, and it makes people from the workshop hate using edrawings and rather use something else like PDF files.
Imagine you have hundreds of drawings in the archive with progressive codes as names, and you don't have the clue of what they mean, but you will exactly know what drawing you want to open by just looking at the preview.
People in 2014 used to uninstall edrawings and rather use SOLIDWORKS Viewer. Now SOLIDWORKS has been retired in 2015 and you can use only edrawings 2015.
There's a critical SPR for this issue 587771. I have forwared to DS one year ago, but it hasn't been solved yet.
But here's a workaround:
1) Go to a SOLIDWORKS CAD station and copy this dll file: C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks\sldthumbnailprovider.dll
2) Go to the non CAD user machine and paste that dll to this folder: C:\Program files\Common Files\edrawings 2015
3) Register dll: regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks\sldthumbnailprovider.dll"
NOTE: you'll probably need to have admin rights on the machine in order to succesfully register the dll.
In Windows 8 I've seen that this is not sufficient. You need to add these extra steps:
4) Go to a SOLIDWORKS CAD station and copy these dll's from the windows/system 32 folder:
5) Go to the non CAD station and paste them in the windows/system 32 folder
6) Register dll again
I hope that Dassault Systèmes will solve this issue asap.