I have a similar issue. Edrawings will not allow preview in Windows explorer.
Same here, I can preview the previous version but not on new version 2014
The only solution that I have found is install the solidworks explorer program. There you can preview it. It is very similar looking to the regular windows explorer.
I agree with you,
But unfortunately for the 2015 version it's not available a Sw explorer version for Windows 7 32 bit.
The laptop where I need the previews has a 32 bit
I too have this problem. I am thinking it may work if these files were saved as edrawing files instead of solidworks files? I am in the exact same situation where the guys in the shop need access to prints. They have a very hard time locating the drawing and a simple preview would really help.
Hopefully this gets fixed, However, thanks for the tip. I will have IT install Solidworks on that machine.
I think this issue is the same as this one eDrawings preview in windows explorer .
Problem affects non CAD stations mainly, and it makes people from the workshop hate using edrawings and rather use something else like PDF files.
Imagine you have hundreds of drawings in the archive with progressive codes as names, and you don't have the clue of what they mean, but you will exactly know what drawing you want to open by just looking at the preview.
People in 2014 used to uninstall edrawings and rather use SOLIDWORKS Viewer. Now SOLIDWORKS has been retired in 2015 and you can use only edrawings 2015.
There's a critical SPR for this issue 587771. I have forwared to DS one year ago, but it hasn't been solved yet.
But here's a workaround:
1) Go to a SOLIDWORKS CAD station and copy this dll file: C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks\sldthumbnailprovider.dll
2) Go to the non CAD user machine and paste that dll to this folder: C:\Program files\Common Files\edrawings 2015
3) Register dll: regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks\sldthumbnailprovider.dll"
NOTE: you'll probably need to have admin rights on the machine in order to succesfully register the dll.
In Windows 8 I've seen that this is not sufficient. You need to add these extra steps:
4) Go to a SOLIDWORKS CAD station and copy these dll's from the windows/system 32 folder:
5) Go to the non CAD station and paste them in the windows/system 32 folder
6) Register dll again
I hope that Dassault Systèmes will solve this issue asap.
Probably it works but I have a 64 bit version and if I copy the DLL from my system to a 32 bit it won't works. (I just tried)
I need a 32 bit dll versione for the test and the 2015 does not run on 32 bit...
This is the main issue to me...
May I use a previous dll version? I mean 2014/2013
Go to SOLIDWORKS Free CAD Tools Downloads area and download eDrawings 2015 32-bit Special Edition (SE) if that works for you.
- eDrawings 2015 32-bit Special Edition (SE) is a one-off release for the 32-bit Windows 7 operating system for opening SOLIDWORKS 2015 native sld* model files:
• No Service Packs or hotfixes will be provided
• This is the last eDrawings version that will install/run on any 32-bit Windows operating system
• It is available for standalone viewer installations only
• You cannot open 2015 eDrawings eprt, easm, edrw files with this version
Hi Mr. Deepak,
already done but it doesn't solve the issue.
my feeling is that edrawings special edition is fundamentally an edrawings 2014 which can read 2015 files. You might test on a virtual machine in order to avoid damage to your operating system when registering the dll's copied from a SOLIDWORKS 2014 X32 installation.