4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 5:08 PM by Will Letuno

Cant Save Part Section View as DXF

Will Letuno

I'm using Solidworks 2014 SP2. In previous versions of Solidworks (2010 and earlier, not sure about 2012) you could create a section view of a model in the parts window by using the "Section View" button and then save this view as a dxf. file by going to File>Save As> and selecting the dxf file format. The DXF/DWG output manager would open, you would select "Faces/Loops/Edges" and then you could output the section view by simply clicking on the section view plane cap. Bam, done deal!! I've done this hundreds of times in earlier versions but can't get it to work in 2014. All I get is a DXF of the outside of the part as though it was not sectioned. Can anyone help me out here?

You could also save the section view(s) and then just select them from the "Views to Export" list in the DXF/DWG output manager.

I've seen this discussion Export a section view of 3D part as a DXF and I also know that it can be done from within a drawing but neither of these methods were necessary in the past. Is the previous functionality gone forever?

• Re: Cant Save Part Section View as DXF
          Rukshan Wijekoon

Hello Will,

You can try creating a different configuration (to generate section view), get the normal view to that plane, then go to save as DFX. Select the *Current view to save from DFX/DWG export options

Will Letuno

Hi Rukshan

Selecting "Current View" still gives me a dxf that is the outside surface of the part not the section that is the current view. Its working the same if I pick a named view or current view. Theres no difference. It doesnt even show the section view in the preview cleanup window. Except for the different configuration that you are suggesting it is the same thing I described. Making it a different configuration doesnt change anything. It worked great in the past but now doesn't seem to work at all.

Take a look at the screen shot I have attached:

On the left you can see that the dxf output manager is open and annotation views "Current" view is selected. Over to the right is my section view (blue and brown). In the middle is the preview cleanup window showing the dxf view that will be saved. As you can see it is not the section view. Also, in the past you could select faces/loops/edges in the dxf output manager and then just click on the section planar face (the blue area on the section view) and that section view would be output. That is what I would always do. It was so simple. However, now it wont even select the face when you click on it.

Rukshan Wijekoon

Have you tried a different configuration method ?, use cut "with surface" to generate section view then use that view to save, it works fine for me , don't know what went wrong in yours...

Untitled1.jpgUntitled1.jpg

Will Letuno

Yes, I know doing a cut with surface works. I mentioned that I read that link in my original post. I also said it could be done from drawings.

Using Section View was much faster and convenient and you didn't have to create cuts which are part features or open a drawing window and you didnt have to go around clicking all the surfaces as you do when doing a surface cut.

I'm trying to find out why the section view method is not working. Has it been eliminated, do I have a setting wrong somewhere, etc,etc. Does anybody have experience with this??