3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 4:11 PM by Jerry Steiger

Scanto3d messing up....alternative?

Scott McFarland

I am trying to create a horn shape using an ellipse for the mouth and a circle for the throat with a semi exponential equation driven curve between the two. I have tried creating a point cloud however, solidworks keeps messing up and cutting a large potion out of the mesh. I have also tried sweeping the curve along the ellipse and circle but since the line is constantly changing along that path solidworks can't interpolate the spline. Ideas on how to build this into a soild?

Attached:

1/4 of the Point Cloud (could mirror and then mirror again?) I have the full available if of interest but same failure happens.

Screen shot of my results with Scanto3d

.xyz files with throat, mouth, and spline

• Re: Scanto3d messing up....alternative?
          Jerry Steiger

Scott,

You should be able to do it with a Sweep. You will need two guide curves with the correct shapes. Your profile is an ellipse. Remember that a circle is just an ellipse whose major and minor axes are equal.

Jerry S.

Scott McFarland

What two guide curves would I use? I have the curve for the mouth, the throat, and a spline inbetween. I have tried taking the spline and sweeping it along the ellipse (mouth) and circle (throat) but that doesn't work.

Jerry Steiger

Scott,

To do it the way that I suggested, you would need one guide curve between one end of the major axes and one guide curve between one end of the minor axes of the mouth and throat. You would define the two guide curves, then add your profile ellipse, put points at one end end of the minor and major axes and then give a pierce point relation between those points and the guide curves.

If you don't have a way to define the two guide curves, then you can't use this method. Given the curves you have, you should probably use a Loft with the Center Line option. Your mouth and throat sketches will be your profiles and your spline, assuming it runs through the center of your profiles, will be the Center Line. If your spline actually runs through the edges of your profiles, then a Loft or Boundary Surface would probably be the way to go, but there is no guarantee that you will get very good results.

Jerry S.