22 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 4:44 PM by Jerry Steiger

Import step file and make changes

Amir Bahman

Hi,

I am a new user of SolidWorks. I have a .step file and I want to import it in SW to make some changes in geometries and then export it to ANSYS for thermal analysis. What is the easiest and fastest way to do this. Thank you.

• Re: Import step file and make changes
          Lenny Bucholz

Since the part file that comes into Sw has no features, we call this a dumb solid, it could be a simple fix using featureworks or a pain depending on the complexity of the model. You may have to delete surfaces and the use the surfacing tools to get what you want.

So it just depends, you'll just have to dive in and start swimming.

Amir Bahman

Thanks Lenny,

It is a cooling system for electronic circuit with several zigzag channels that fluid flows through them. I want to modify the length, width and height of channels. Maybe I am lazy or busy of several tasks in ANSYS, but when I open SW it is not a swimming pool but an ocean ! Do you suggest to start reading tutorials from beginning or do you have some tips to achieve my target directly.

Lenny Bucholz

as a new user you are really jumping into the deep end of the pool as the things needed to do this are kind of the intermediate to advance side of SW.

without see the model hard to say where to start to get the channels, could be deleting faces, could use existing faces to get geom to make new sweep and loft cuts.... or just make a new model using SW.

sorry, not more helpful ... it's just a big ocean for you in the terms of SW and the way to approach this process.

Kelvin Lamport

If possible post the STEP file. If not at least post some images to show what you are dealing with.
                    Even some hand made sketches would help.

John Burrill

Amir, I can't guarantee results, but if I had to guess at what your modifications will be, I'd say you should learn the extrude, extrude cut, move face and delete face tools along with the basics of the sketcher.

Lately, I've noticed a rash of analysts looking for help with CAD tasks.  Given how much a CFD/FEA analyst costs per hour, I'd expect taking the 5-day SolidWorks essentials training class or hiring a designer to help you would be an investment with obvious and quick returns.

Amir Bahman

Thanks all. Here is an image of my file. As I said, I want to make changes in the width, length and height of channels.

Geometry.png

Lenny Bucholz

I would just remake the part in SW so you can change the dims to what is needed.

but feature works should be able to reverse build it so you can get features again. very rectilinear part.

Ryan McVay

I hate to say this on the this board and I'm sure I will get my hands slapped but I truly despise the "just redo the model" type of answers. It's a pet peeve of mine next to "reboot your workstation".

To make the modifications you are looking for you require direct editing functions. Unfortunately, you won't find those type of tools in SW- especially for "dumb" or imported solids.

My suggestion would be to download a free syncrounous technology tool (hint these are search terms) and make your changes using one of those tools you find. You could be done in 5 minutes after the install. Select or rectangle select the face(s) and pull them. Done.

John Burrill

Amir, Ryan is trying hard to get you to use SolidEdge without saying it.  (It's OK, Ryan, the brand-loyalty police aren't going to kick down your door and haul you off).

I'm going to guess that's not an immediate option for you, so I'll suggest a workflow.

If you want to change the thickness of the ribs in your tray, using SolidWorks, you need to use the measure tool and pick one of the transverse faces to see how wide the ribs are in the step file geometry.

measure_tool.png

measure_tool2.png

Once you know the width of the ribs, you use the Move Face tool to specify additional thickness.  Before you can do that, you'll need to specify the faces that you want to operate on.

move_face2.png

"Select Connected Faces" will select all of the faces thatshare an edge with the selected face.  There are some options to refine and expand your selection.

move_face3.png

You're then going to launch the "Move Face" tool

move_face4.png

Move face will list all of the selected faces and show you a preview of the results of an offset-face operation with the default value.

move_face5.png

move_face6.png

When you click OK, the geometry is updated and a "Move Face" feature is added to the bottom of the feature manager tree.

move_face7.png

You can also use the "Move Face" tool to shorten or lengthen specific ribs.

move_face8.png

One caveat.  It looks like your ribs have draft, so the width at the base after doing a move face operation is going to be the secant of the draft angle of the face times the measured width of the face.  Take the cosine of the draft angle and multiply that by the additional offset and you should be golden.
                              You can even do that when you specify the offset distance in Move Face.

mvoe_faces_9.png

Good luck.  Let us know how it turns out.

Kelvin Lamport

Ryan McVay wrote:

To make the modifications you are looking for you require direct editing functions. Unfortunately, you won't find those type of tools in SW- especially for "dumb" or imported solids.

Have you used SolidWorks, Ryan?

http://help.solidworks.com/2014/English/solidworks/sldworks/hidd_dve_feat_move_face.htm

http://help.solidworks.com/2014/English/solidworks/sldworks/t_Creating_Rotated_Move_Face_Features.htm

Definitely not as slick as direct edit functions in some other programs, but still very useable.

Lenny Bucholz

Ryan McVay wrote:

I hate to say this on the this board and I'm sure I will get my hands slapped but I truly despise the "just redo the model" type of answers. It's a pet peeve of mine next to "reboot your workstation".

My suggestion would be to download a free syncrounous technology tool (hint these are search terms) and make your changes using one of those tools you find. You could be done in 5 minutes after the install. Select or rectangle select the face(s) and pull them. Done.

Ryan,

Hows it going, long time no see ya here!

Now the only reason I said rebuild is it is such a simple part and he said he has to keep changing the size of the channels.

Yes move face works, pain in the butt for this part, too many darn faces, hell if he did the sketching correctly with some equations or equal relations it would be a snap.

the up side to rebuilding is he has learn a new valuable skill on how to solve a problem and some new tools.

or he could have taken it into an assembly and rebuilt a new one super fast because the step file one is his template

or he could of deleted the faces of the ribs or made a cut to get ride of them and then used the SW features to control the ribs size and width.

or trudge thru feature works or move face ....uggggg!

or...wait i don't have anymore

Amir Bahman

Hi John,

Thanks a lot for very nice answer. But in the first step I do not have the Select Connected Faces.Untitled.png

Tom dunn

Sounds like a Candian hockey player, "Yamar Stieger, slides in over the blue line, he shoots, he scores, thats' two for the Steiger- Aah"

Amir Bahman

Thank you all for your answer. Maybe some discussions between forum members make new users more confused, but anyway I tried to recreate the model in ANSYS geometries, becasue I want to make parametrizations and optimize my model. I thought it is only possible to do it inside ANSYS. I think ANSYS Design Modeler is not strong enough or user friendly to help me. Unfortunately my experince in CAD softwates for both Solidworks and ANSYS Design Modeler is not enough. I have attached a full picture of my project. Do you have any idea of continue my work in ANSYS or recreate it in SW or just do the modifications?Geom.pngGeom2.png

Amir Bahman

My friend could help me to draw it in SW, but I am wondering if anybody can help me to do it in ANSYS, because I want to do parametrization and I don't want to call the CAD file every time from SW. I want to attache the file here, but where is the attach icon?

Amir Bahman

Hi again,

I have solved most of the problems. Thank you all. Now I have another question ! I want import the assembly that consists different parts into ANSYS. How can I make some assemblies that remain the same when I use the interface option in SolidWorks to ANSYS Workbench. I want to have a group of bodys with the same materials in seperated group. Then I don't need to make assemblies in ANSYS whenever I import the CAD file.

Jerry Steiger

Amir,

I'm afraid I don't really understand what you are trying to do. As far as I know, ANSYS Workbench doesn't really understand assemblies. You have to define all of the constraints between parts inside Workbench.

What do you mean when you say that you want a group of bodies with the same material to be in a separated group?

You can make changes in SolidWorks and then reimport the SolidWorks files into Workbench. Sometimes it very nicely keeps the bodies or parts and materials consistent. Other times it is necessary to check the part names and materials in Workbench to make sure that the import didn't scramble the properties.

Jerry S.