1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 3, 2014 3:22 PM by Jerry Steiger

Embossed Textures around Cylinder & "Screw" Parts

Thomas Legall

Hi!

I've a little problem regarding few details to model on a personal project:

-I'd like to know how to create embossed textures around a cylinder? Like that:

maquette.jpg

- I also would like to know how to create "screw" parts (sorry for my english, i'm french, and i don't know the technical word for that!) to assemble two cylinders? here is a quick sketch, which is probably easier to understand:

filetage.jpg

(So the "screw part" is outside on the first cylinder, and inside on the second one)

If you have any ideas how to do that as simple as possible, that would be awesome!

Thanks for your help : )

Thomas

• Re: Embossed Textures around Cylinder & "Screw" Parts
          Jerry Steiger

Thomas,

I assume that you want to actually model the embossed pattern and the screw threads, not just get cosmetic renderings.

The bad news is that duplicating the embossed pattern is probably not going to be very easy to do. It looks like your pattern is embossed into the existing cylinder (removing material). If you're lucky, you can come up with an easily done revolved cut that gives you a single instance of the shape you want. Then you can make a circular pattern of those cuts to get one row, then a linear pattern of the circular pattern to get as many rows as you want.

The screw threads are conceptually easier, but they can chew up a lot of SolidWorks resources, so generate them only if you really need them. Since it looks like you are making plastic parts and may not be using a standard size thread, this may be the case. If not, you can use a cosmetic thread and notes on the drawing to define what you want.

If you really need to model the threads, then you can build your parts so that you will cut away the threads. Make a helix with the proper pitch and diameter. Put a plane on the end of the helix. Draw your thread profile on the plane. Sweep the profile along the helix path.

Jerry S.