5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2014 10:44 AM by Den Bono

EPDM Autocad Barcodes

Den Bono

Our document control department would like us to put the drawing number, revision and job number variables onto our drawing but displayed as a barcode.

Has anyone done this and if so, how? Thanks!

Denny

• Re: EPDM Autocad Barcodes
          Greg Rupp

Hello Denny, All you need to do is download a Barcode Font. I believe there are several free ones available on-line. Then, on your title block, put a text field with your info in that barcode font.

Good luck,

Greg

Mariah Sharp

Greg Rupp wrote:

Hello Denny, All you need to do is download a Barcode Font. I believe there are several free ones available on-line. Then, on your title block, put a text field with your info in that barcode font.

Good luck,

Greg

but there are many different barcode font ,such as code 39 font ,code 128 font,ean font ,etc how to choose ?

Greg Rupp

It will depend on your application.

• Do you need to use complex symbols?
                  • Is it Letters and Numbers?
                  • How many characters?
                  • Do you plan to use the barcode for any other fields?
                  • Do you need to comply with any standards?

Most bar code scanners/software will read a large variety of code types, but that might also be a factor.

My suggestion... Use Code 128. It has a lot of flexiblity, allowing you to barcode practically anything at any length.

If you get creative with your barcodes, it can contain a large amount of information. If you do that though, be aware of the length/size of the barcode.

Den Bono

basically we have these variables that I need already populated on our existing title block. Can I just use the same variable and put it in two places with one of the instances being a barcode font or should i have a new variable just for the barcode?

Variables being barcoded

Job Number (this is five digits but could potentially have a dash like 12345-1)

Drawing Number (this varies but could be D-12345-0200 50)

Revision (this is usually a single character A thru F or 0 thru 9)

John Burrill

Really. You still have a document control department...and they still manage prints....from SolidWorks.
                  Wow.