2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2014 8:03 AM by Peter Ham

How to create a simple conveyor assembly with moving parts

David Brown

Hello, first I'd like to say thanks for any help. I am new to assemblies as I only work in design. I am trying to simulate a conveyor with moving parts. Basically a conveyor belt with as swinging arm that diverts traffic. A problem I might have is that I created all the parts of the assembly in one part and it appears that an assembly wants me to compile individual parts. Hopefully that makes sense. If that isn't a problem, the next thing I need to do is figure out how to fix parts by an axis or points and have them animate so I can determine the dimensions of the swinging arm. Some general direction would be helpful or perhaps a related tutorial. I've looked in the forum for this but all the posts I've seen are way more advanced than what I am trying to do.

I've attached a rough model of the conveyor and picture of the diverting arm I made (which is controlled by a linear actuator)

• Re: How to create a simple conveyor assembly with moving parts
          Jerry Steiger

David,

Use Save Bodies to save each of the bodies in your part out as individual parts. You have the choice when you do that to automatically create an assembly. You can Fix the parts that you know are in the correct locations. You can add Concentric mates to the parts that you want to pivot about the skinny cylinder. After that you may have to use some of the more esoteric mates depending on exactly how you want things to move.

If you want to model some of the parts as a subassembly and you want the parts to move relative to one another when in the main assembly, then you want that subassembly to be flexible. You do that by setting the properties of the subassembly.

Jerry S.

• Re: How to create a simple conveyor assembly with moving parts
            Peter Ham

Hi David,

It might help to go through a couple of the tutorial example in Solidworks.

• Lesson 2: Assemblies - A basic intro to assemblies
            • Assembly Mates - A more in depth task of assembling a machine

The second one in particular is good for understanding the concept of how individual parts are assembled into a machine.

After that you should have a good idea of how to approach the task.