2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2014 4:19 PM by Patrick Brown

breaking up a Large STP assembly so i can make a quick demo

Patrick Brown

Hello SW community

this one is a bit of a odd one..

I've just been given a large 56+ MB stp file of a machine,

no problem solidworks has opened it... and I've hidden all the non important things.. (guarding.. and silly thing like that... )

but tomorrow I've been tasked with giving a demo of how the machine works..

now to make that super easy, I'd like to be able to move  / rotate parts... slide things about...

but ... and I'm sure you already know this...

it's all locked together... and there doesnt seam to be any mates or "glue" holding it together.. its just solid...

so before i take the 800 parts and rebuild the entire thing... (which will be a sleepless night I'm pretty sure)

does anyone know how I can slice it up and then mate chunks of it up and pull off the demo of the year... (i know i know.. we are only 30 days in.. but i don't expect anyone doing anything half as good in the next 11 months... so it will be the demo of the year)

thanks in advance...

Pb 

• Re: breaking up a Large STP assembly so i can make a quick demo
          J. Mather

I assume that all 800 parts do not move.

Fix any parts that have no motion at all.

Demote parts that belong together in logical sub-assemblies.  (I window select, demote and then turn off visibility of constructued sub to make next sub easier to select.)

Fix any parts in those subs that don't have any motion within the sub.  Mate those that do.

Make subs that do have parts with DOF Flexible.

Fix any subs that do not have any motion.

Mate remaining top level parts and subs that do have motion.

I doubt there are all that many of the 800 parts that have relative motion.

By the time you fix and demote - I'll bet this would only take about 30 minutes from start to finish.