14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2014 6:10 PM by Rich Chappell

New 2 SolidWorks & in need of training

Crystal Torode

Blessed morning, I am new to SolidWorks as I'm a 15 yr veteran of AutoCAD & have relized there is a major learning curve between the 2. I'm wondering if there may be anyone here that is in the Colo Spg area that may be willing to show me the basics for a descent price as the co wont pay for training?

• Re: New 2 SolidWorks & in need of training
          J. Mather

The built-in tutorials are pretty good.

I recommend going through those first and post questions to any problems you encounter here.

Andi H

Solidworks professor look on google they got ton of videos if you like them buy the tutorial well worth it

Steve Martens

Hello Crystal,

Welcome to the club, hope your going to have fun.  I bet there is a User Group around you, great meeting to go to and learn stuff.  They users at the groups are typically quite helpful and will answer questions, probably give you more advice than your ready for but that's OK as hanging out with experienced people is the best way to learn anything.

All the Best

Crystal Torode

Thank you all. I have done most of the tutorials but with little success in cross over applications. The business I'm in is 2dim & no need for 3dim. Most of our clients however are in the weapons industry & use SolidWorks so we thought it'd be a good idea to have SW to accompodate them .

I'll look for a User Group & see if I can get to one.

Blessings of prosperity!

Lenny Bucholz

Just go take the classes at the VAR you cannot go wrong.

The courses are stream lined to get up and running in a short amount of time, you also get a slew of training manuals that you can always go to if you forget how to do some thing.

or see if your community college instructs any SW courses and take it there.

Andi H

100 bucks an hour and they barely teach anything. I went to private university which was 600 per 4 hour class they didnt even cover the basics in Solidworks. Go buy Solidprofessor it will teach you everything you know and will allow you to reach the stars

Glenn Schroeder

Andi H wrote:

100 bucks an hour and they barely teach anything.

All VAR's aren't created equal.  I've taken SW Basics, and Advanced Drawings, Parts, and Assemblies from ours and it was time well spent.

Lenny Bucholz

Andi H wrote:

100 bucks an hour and they barely teach anything. I went to private university which was 600 per 4 hour class they didnt even cover the basics in Solidworks. Go buy Solidprofessor it will teach you everything you know and will allow you to reach the stars

Guess you should come down here to Phoenix then to get your training.

Instructors at the VAR are all ex customers that used SW everyday and two of the community colleges have SW course from beginner to advanced that run for a semester one night a week for around $400 + materials and lab fee, and the instructors not only work for the college they have their own companies and are users of SW in the work place.

I know cause i taught a few of them when i instructed both at the VAR and the college.

as Glenn said one isn't like the other

@Jeff

she shouldn't even look back , damn the torpedos! Full speed ahead!

once she checks her brain at the door and throws out all the bad ways of 2d she'll wonder why tshe hadn't jumped sooner.

is 2d really only 2d in the real world?????

No it is not, everything has a thickness and a possible interference, a wieght, a volume, a surface area to be painted or coated.... ok I'm done.

Ian Worrall

If your company  bought Solidworks for you, they should have received some "Training Credits" from their VAR.

These entitle them to send someone to the VAR for a set number of days training.

SW Essentials (AKA Solidworks for Noobs) is a 4 day course.

Jeff Mirisola

Crystal,

What is it that you do that you have no use for 3D? If you truly don't need it, you shouldn't have bought it. For that matter, I don't think your reseller should have sold it to you. In what way do you interact with your clients? Are they sending you files or do you send them files?

While I'm a huge proponent of 3D, if you truly don't need it I think it's going to make learning much harder for you as you won't be driven by need or an overly strong desire, especially if all your communication with your clients is via 2D. Knowing what you're doing for them would aid in guiding you towards the right path.

Andi H

I guess it really comes down to who you have as a teacher. I used to have this guy 30 years in field experience he had some experience in solidworks im not sure if he knew it himself but 3 month long semester all we learned in solidworks was import files from Rhino 3d and shell. That is it. No explanation how the software works, how geometry is generated, not how sketches work, 2d sketches 3d sketche let alone the advanced surfaceing or assemblies or stimulations. And it was 150 USD an hour for class. In General Community Colleges are a lot cheaper and sometimes better than private schools. It all comes down to who was your teacher i guess I ran in bad luck. lol I was forced to learn it myself with Solidprofessor

Michael Smith

Crystal,

YouTube has a TON of videos check out these channels

SolidWorks https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0NX5l_sS-y14xc9XtPzsPw

CADD Edge https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-c6uYY98Rbxk3XOTAoQm0A

GoEngineer https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAimmACAI93EHFbCoj29FJw

A Community Collage may be a good way to start, or ask your VAR if they know of anyone that will give privet lessons.

David Suelflow

I just got turned onto Lynda.com and have been very pleased… for just under $40 you can get a month’s access to the online tutorials and practice files.  They will give you a 7 day trial for free but I found that there is too much content to watch in a week.  I have had SolidProfessor in the past and liked it quite a bit but it can be a bit pricey.  Try Lynda.com first and if you find you need more go with the Professor.

Rich Chappell

Hi Crystal,

My favorite web based training is SolidWize.com. The video's presented are to the point, stay on topic and the narrators cursor doesn't fly all over the place. Try the free  video's they have in each section. A students price is half off each month which I used as a supplement to my JC engineering classes.

Good luck!

Rich