5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2014 11:46 AM by Jared Conway

Analysis of shaft

Abbas Madraswala

I want to perform a stress analysis on shaft supported in bearings, Plate is attached to shaft as load and Torque (calculated from motion study) is applied on one of the ends of the shafts. What boundary conditions I need to apply?

Also what is the difference between hinge fixture and a bearing fixture? (Which DOF's are constrained?)

Shaft Analysis.jpg

• Re: Analysis of shaft
          Jared Conway

Let's say you apply 2 bearing fixtures and a torque, what stops the whole assembly from rotating?

Do you have info about the bearing that makes it worthwhile to use a bearing restraint over fixed or fixed hinge?

Abbas Madraswala

The plate attached to the shaft is actually a door which can only  move 71 deg. The size of the plate is around 42" x 48" x 2.75 mm. Currently I dont have information of bearings.

How can we decide wether we should use a bearing or a hinge restraint?

Jared Conway

Bearing and hinge are basically the same thing if you don't include the bearing spring info. Lots of good posts about that here in the forum. Also to look at in the forum is that generally you need at least 1 fixed or similar restraint.

But for your condition, what are you trying to test? As I mentioned, if you just apply a torque in real life, it will just spin.

Abbas Madraswala

I wanted to calculate torsional stresses coming on shaft.

After searching I perform the analysis by taking only shaft component and considering it as a beam. I applied a torque on one end and a fixed fixture on the other end. The torsional stresses are now matching with the hand calculation.

I also tried to solve it considering solid elements and applying the same boundary condition. Can you tell me for checking torsional stresses in solids which stress plot I need to check?