2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2007 2:45 PM by SolidWorks Corp

How to analyse a tank with sheet metal wall

Designer Designer
      Dear COSMOS User......

I want to analyse a tank with sheet metal wall.
      Please open my attached file, then give me a suggestion.......

Thank You.....
        • How to analyse a tank with sheet metal wall
          Designer Designer
          Hi........

I move this dialog from sheet metal group :

Dear Gerald........

Thank you very much and I am very appreciate for your advice, sample model.......
          You advice and sample model very helpful for me to star create a big storage tank.

1. Are you create a storage tank just for viewing or your company manufacture / create it ?

I think it`s very different if the function just for viewing compare to company that create it.
          I attached my 2D DWG drawing. From that drawing you can look that it`s more complicated compared to your`s storage tank. There is any welded between the " small plate ".

2. Are you have experience modeled a wall of storage tank like this ?

3. Are you modeled the weld or just give a gap between the " small plate " ? Why I ask about the weld, because the next step is not just create the 3D model, but I want to analyse the strength of the wall using COSMOS. Should I create the 3D model of weld or .............?

Thank`s very much Gerald...........

I hope any body can help me..........

Thank You.......

• How to analyse a tank with sheet metal wall
              SolidWorks Corp
              I would start by modeling the whole thing as a surface/shell model in COSMOSWorks and look at the stresses and loads in the weld areas to determine if there are any areas of potential concern. Then, evaluate welds individually based on the loads they carry. The COSMOS Companion unit that covers this is called "Analyzing Welds and Weldments" and can be downloaded from
              www.solidworks.com/Companion

One more suggestion is to turn Large Displacement ON. Flat walled tanks under distributed pressure are susceptible to LS stress stiffening effects.

Good luck!