2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2014 10:21 PM by Robin McCaffrey

Updating Drawing References

Robin McCaffrey

I am trying to optimize some large assemblies we have.  I have created part files for the sub assemblies in our main assembly.  This drastically improved performance (load times went from a minute and a half to about 15 seconds).  I have two configurations in our general assembly that load either the full sub assemblies or the simplified partified sub assemblies.  When working with the model, you unsuppress whichever part of the general assembly you want to work with and suppress it's part based dummy.  When done the changes, I recreate the part file, and everything is happy and good to go.

However, the sticking point comes when dealing with drawings.  Ideally we would like to use the faster part files sub assembly configuration, but if we do that, we get dangling dimensions every time we update an assembly.  Not a big deal, and depending on the change, it is faster to fix dangling dimensions then it is to work with a very slow drawing file.

Is it possible to create a macro that relinks these dangling dimensions automatically?  Or should we simply hold off on fixing dangling dimensions for every time we want to export a drawing package?

• Re: Updating Drawing References
          Jeff Mirisola

Prior to making those changes, did you look at loading your assembly lightweight or simplified? It sounds like you may have created work needlessly.

How large is the assembly? Are you opening across a network? While it's not as much of a problem as it used to be, it may slow things down.

• Re: Updating Drawing References
              Robin McCaffrey

The assembly is about 750Mb, we work out of a working folder on our local drive. The bulk of the lag time is simply due to processing all of the files. And rebuilding everything. My computer has a SSD, and I have even tried loading the files into a ram drive, but that only gained several seconds of load time.

And yes, I have tried lightweight components, but the effect is negligible, especially compared to the part file assemblies.