5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 2:19 PM by Scott McFadden

inventor to sw

Scott Cole

i have solidworks pro 2013, we have a lot of inventor parts and assemblies. question is when i bring in an inventor assembly how do i keep the constraints. the files open no propblem but no constraints, i spend hours re-consrtaining.

• Re: inventor to sw
          J. Mather

Assembly constraints do not translate across programs.

Kelvin Lamport

If you don't need movement between parts, you could simply Fix all parts in place, or fix the main part and Lock all the others to that.

Scott McFadden

Scott,

Everything that has been said is correct.  My question is how are you bringing in the Inventor parts into SW?

Are you calling them up in SW as a direct Inventor part/assembly?  My thought is I would call up the parts first.  Get them into SW and save them as such.  The other problem is you are going to have to redimension all of the features as well.  That is why I am suggesting starting with the parts.  Then once those are done, you may just want to reassemble them in SW instead of bringing over the Inventor assembly.

J. Mather

Scott McFadden wrote:

The other problem is you are going to have to redimension all of the features as well.  ....

Well, only if they are all wrong.  I see a lot of people spend (waste) a lot of time trying to run Feature Recognition on stuff that is already set in stone. They only seem to be comfortable if everything looks entirely native.   I only recognize features that I will actually need to edit.

Scott McFadden

I was going on past experience when I have called up directly part models from other softwares and it came in fine, but all of the sketches were blue and undefined.  Maybe SW has done better with this over the last couple of years and this is not the case anymore.