14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2014 4:32 PM by Matthew Watts

Pack and Go vs. Save as Copy

Zach Zimmerman

When using Pack and Go you have the option in the Save To Name column to change the name by double clicking and creating a new filename, as shown below. When using the Save as Copy function you are essentially performing the same task, with the obvious options now in 2014 of open or continue. My question is are these two functions doing the same thing? It looks that way to me. Could anyone give me a little further insight as how they use these tools? I am currently starting to lean toward pack and go especially when I want to make a copy of an assembly and its drawing while changing both of their respective names. Thanks for any input. ZZ

pacjn goi.PNG

• Re: Pack and Go vs. Save as Copy
          Ian Worrall

The main difference is with assemblies.

"Save as Copy" just produces a copy of the top level assembly, which references all the component parts in the same place in your filesystem as the original.

"Pack and Go" produces a folder (or zip file) containing all the assemblies, sub-assemblies and components with references in the top level assembly altered to point to the components in the folder.

Zach Zimmerman

Is there a way to take the drawing of the assembly with the assembly in the save as copy command? My specific situation is this. I have a large assembly that has 95% of the same components from job to job. There are in fact some components that change. I use a common part folder for all the similar components and then change the names of the parts that need altered only in length. For this reason I take the drawing and the model with to the new job folder. I believe Pack and Go is the easiest way to achieve this. Thanks for the reply!

Alan Stoldt

Don't use Save As Copy, but us Save As:

1.) Open your Top Level Assy (read only).

2.) Open the Assy Drw (Read Only)

3.) "Save As" the Assy to a different Location and Name.

4.) "Save As" the Drawing to the new Locatin and Name from Step 3.

That being said and expounding on the original posting:

Another way to use the Pack and Go to accomplish this:

You have your Common Parts Folder. Good.

Anything Specific to a particular machine can be saved with a File Name Structure such that if you do a Rename in the Pack and Go all the Files that wil change or are likely to change are given a new name.

New Top Level Assy Name: ABC123 (old TLA was XYZ876).

All changing Parts/ Assemblies are named (XYZ876 "Description or Part Number goes here".)

XYZ876 TLA

XYZ876 Widget

XYZ876 Thinga-doodle

Use the rename feature and these become:

ABC123 TLA

ABC123 Widget

ABC123 Thinga-doodle

Matt Neuman

I use pack and go to create new assemblies that are very similiar to the original.  The parts that need changed get a new name and the check mark remains.  Parts that will remain the same and are from the common parts folder get the check mark removed so that they are used again.  Then assign a new folder for the new assembly.  I do not take drawings with pack and go.  Copy the drawing from the original folder to the new folder and rename as needed.  In SW (at least 2013 and older, haven't seen 2014 yet) click on file, then open.  Browse to your folder, highlight the name of of the drawing that you copied, do not open it yet.  Click on the references button in the lower right side of the window.  When the references window opens, browse to the folder containing the new assembly and pick it.  Click OK, then click Open in the Open window, if you don't open the file immediately it will lose the changed reference.  All of this, including the pack and go can actually be done thru the open window, just right click the file name in the list on the left side of the open window, about 1/3 of the way down the menu is Solidworks, under that is pack and go.

Glenn Schroeder

Zach Zimmerman wrote:

I believe Pack and Go is the easiest way to achieve this.

The easiest way, and the least likely to produce unwanted changes to the original (as long as you don't forget to close the original and open the new file before making any changes, as I've done a time or two).

Matthew Watts

Glenn, could you elaborate on this further please?

I think this is something I have been doing.  I am working on 3 iterations of the same assembly, with minor changes in between each.  So, I pack and go the original assembly into a new folder, then make my change to the duplicate assembly and save it as a new assembly in the new folder.  However, as I like to check and make sure the original packed assembly did not get changed, lo and behold, it always wants to rebuild as soon as I open it, and it changes the original file to my displeasure.  I can of course back out and not save it, but it will bug me to death until I rebuild and ruin my work.

I cannot be sure if I am doing what you're saying or not, but I sometimes have all three iterations open at once, and it is causing me a lot of headaches.  I would do a configuration for each assembly, but I need to be able to send each assembly separately to customers.

Glenn Schroeder

Matthew Watts wrote:

Glenn, could you elaborate on this further please?

So, I pack and go the original assembly into a new folder, then make my change to the duplicate assembly and save it as a new assembly in the new folder.

Here is the procedure I would recommend:

1.  Open the assembly, File > Pack and Go.   Select the folder for the new assembly and it's parts and sub-assemblies (if any).  I pretty much always choose a different folder than the folder the original assembly is in, but if you put it in the same folder then it's critical to first re-name any files that will be modified.  Re-name the new assembly and any parts or sub-assemblies that will be modified by double-clicking on the file name in the column shown below.  Save.

2.  Close the original assembly.

3.  Open the new assembly, make your changes, and save.  There is no need to save it as a new assembly, since you assigned a new name to the new assembly in the Pack and Go process.

You said you sometimes have all three open at once.  With the steps I gave above you should be okay, as long as you make sure to re-name all files that you will be making changes to.

re-name in pack and go.png

Matthew Watts

OK, I feel sure that is the part where I was going wrong.

I had no idea that you could save the assembly/parts under a new name via that Pack and Go prompt screen.

I was doing the thing everyone has said not to do, which is renaming the files within Windows Explorer, because my first attempt at renaming them failed (right-clicking the part, then going into "Component Properties" seems to just rename the part within the Solidworks Feature Manager Tree but not the actual file).

I tried this just now, and the only odd thing I am noticing is that one of the parts that makes up my assembly has the typical parentheses beside it that lists a display state; however it is referencing a display state that does not exist within my assembly.  I cannot figure out a way to delete the errant display state, as it is not listed in the Display States under the Property Manager tab.  Everything else seems to have worked well.

Thank you for your very quick reply, I will follow these steps and see how it goes from now on.

Bernie Daraz

I always use Pack and Go from the top level drawing, check to Include Drawings and I get all the parts, assemblies and drawings of the assembly. I also use this to archive the project at each projects final manufacturing release. This can be opened at anyones machine assuming a similar or newer install of SW. Depending on your naming structure it is likely Alan Stoldt's advice will also work for you.

Roland Schwarz

I've found Pack-and-Go to be far more dependable.

Sometimes I use save-as (w/ references) for copying part drawings with parts.  However, there are a tricky issues that need to be addressed when doing so, or else all of the renamed files won't copy and rename.