5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2014 9:14 AM by Brent Belongea

Running Macros swb files.  Cannot open

Brent Belongea

When I download files from vendors and they are swb files, I run the macro and get this message:

"A serious error occurred during macro playback. Perhaps the macro was not played in the correct context. The system could be in an unstable state now."

This happens after I have opened a couple of files already.  Once it crashes SW, I will restart SW and then it works fine.  Please help!!!!!  This is such an inconvenience.

• Re: Running Macros swb files.  Cannot open
          David Bo Hansen Cartagena

Hi Brent.

I have exactly the same problem and it's so annoying especially since I am working on a large model which take quite some time to open.

Could we please get some help on this topic!!

I run SolidWorks 2014 SP 3.0

David

Markku Lehtola

Hi,

swb is older macro file format, current format is swp. Running SW12 right now and it seems to support swb as well, can't check how it is in SW14...try to check with "Tools-Macro-Edit" perhaps? I think VBA has been updated between 12 and 14...maybe problem is related to that?

br

Markku

www.sloworks.fi

David Bo Hansen Cartagena

Hi Markku.

Thank you for your answer ;-)

The problem is that the files created from the companies that use Cadenas CAD catalog are all swb files (at least all the models I have needed).

Another weird thing is that Solidworks sometimes opens the file (runs the macro) and sometimes don't??

It's often happening when I have had Solidworks open for a longer period of time. After it crashes I open solidworks again and then it usually runs the swb file macro with out any problem.

Best regards

David

Josh Brady

Don't download in .swb format.  There's no need for a "native" SolidWorks model for vendor parts unless you have a need to modify for some reason.  Just download the parasolid.  File size may be a little bigger on the download, but once SW creates the model the saved file sizes will not be that much different.

Brent Belongea

Sometimes the vendor does not offer any other option...you get what they give you.

Here is what I was told by our SW supplier:

"I did some additional testing and the only point I could reach the failure in my test environment is when I run out of memory after resolving a very large assembly model. However I did some additional in the macros and they are using certain Win32 calls which are not suggested in Windows 7 64 bit along with noticing they are not clearing variable after their use which is also a bad idea."

This issue started in SW2013.

I found something on the discussions and had our SW supplier make some fixes to this attached program.  This seems to be a fix until the vendors get things changed.  This works!!!