4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 4:36 PM by Casey Bergman

EPDM preview not updating

Shawn Casebolt

I recieved no response in the EPDM section so I am trying here as well.

I am hoping someone can provide me with some insight into the preview window inside EPDM.  My post title essentially says it all, the preview is not always correct.  This is causing us problems as a lot of people are just right clicking the view and hitting print..........and winding up with an incorrect drawing.   Unfortunatly we are very new to EPDM so I have not been able to determine a pattern (is it only copied files, etc..).   Can anyone give me some insight as to when and how the preview window is generated??

• Re: EPDM preview not updating
          Jerry Steiger

Shawn,

I don't see why people expect to get the right file just by looking at a preview. I'm not that trusting.

SolidWorks changed when the preview was updated a number of years ago. (I'm still running 2010 and it was before then.) They decided that updating it every time you saved a file was taking too much time, so they came up with their own secret formula to decide when to update the preview. As far as I know, no one has been able to figure out what the secret formula is.

EPDM may not use the same method to update the previews as SW does.

Jerry S.

Casey Bergman

Did you ever figure this out?  I just talked with our VAR about this and you must do a forced rebuild and save before checking the file in from what I am being told.  Curious to what you figured out.

Shawn Casebolt

No we did not.  We were doing the ctrl+Q thing checking in etc..  however as everyone says "our situation is unique"

We crank out a lot of assemblies / projects but our projects are all very similiar.  What this means is that we can easily hop into any level of the project and make tweaks and know that we are not causing interferences or other issues.  Therefore its not as if we complete lower levels, or sub assy's and then work on higher levels.  We are bouncing all around.

Our solution was to pay to have a custom program wrote that will basically take the top level assy, compile a list of everything below it that the user has checked out, do the rebuilds, get rid of those pesky messages and check in from the bottom up.  This should save us a ton of time.  I am hoping to be testing this in the next 2-3 weeks.

Casey Bergman

Thank you for the response.

Our problem stems from the fact that our EPDM workflow creates a pdf for our shop to view anytime the file is transitioned back to approved.  It does this by opening the file in eDrawings and printing to pdf.  So if the preview is not up to date the pdf is created wrong as well.

Hope you are able to get your problem handled!