11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2014 10:27 PM by Kelvin Lamport

creating new plane on a face

Joe Black

i notice when i create a new plane on a face its created slightly away from the face and i can adjust the standoff distance  but its never full on the face .is that ok when i start a new sketch on the new face plane ?

why doesnt it have a default of right on the face ?

just curious

• Re: creating new plane on a face
          Karlos James

Hello Joe,

I assume you mean that you get something like this?

Offset.jpg

if you select the 'Coincident' button on the left hand side it will place the plane directly on the surface, it saves decreasing the distance amount!

Coincident.jpg

i dont know if this helps!

cheers

Karlos

Kelvin Lamport

The default is probably not Coincident because (genereally) there would be no need to create a ref plane on a flat face. The sketch could be placed directly onto the face.

Scott McFadden

What version are you running?  I know in the past when I have created a plane off of a flat surface for either skeletal purposes or if I needed it to reference to other features I didn't want tied to the face surface it didn't give an offset distance.  If you do a measure ment between the plane and the surface that should answer your question.

Glenn Schroeder

I have to agree with Kelvin.  Why create a plane coincident with a surface when you can use the surface as a sketch plane without creating a seperate plane?  That's just one more feature in your tree with no purpose that I can see.

Roland Schwarz

A.) There are good reasons to do this.  as noted, one may not want the life of the sketch tied to the life of the face.  This way, if the face disappears in an edit, the plane will remain and can be redefined without disrupting downstream features.

2.) Obsessing over feature count is misplaced.  Impact on regen time for planes, axes, and sketches is nearly zero.  In the long run, it can save time if it makes the model robust or makes it easier for downstream features to regenerate.

Kelvin Lamport

A.) There are good reasons to do this.  as noted, one may not want the life of the sketch tied to the life of the face.  This way, if the face disappears in an edit, the plane will remain and can be redefined without disrupting downstream features.

The same can be said for features. In the attached example, the Split Line changes the face ID and if the Split Line feature is dragged above the Hole & Coincident Plane, those features will fail, but both the feature & plane will remain for redefinition.

2.) Obsessing over feature count is misplaced.  Impact on regen time for planes, axes, and sketches is nearly zero.  In the long run, it can save time if it makes the model robust or makes it easier for downstream features to regenerate.

From my point of view, it's not so much the feature count affecting performance (as you state the effect is minimal), it's the unecessary cluttering of the feature tree. I've had to work on parts which had a separate plane for every single feature (hundreds of them), even if a standard ref plane could have been used. The tree length was double what it need have been.

J. Mather

Joe -

You should attach your sldprt file here when completed for suggestions on the most robust technique for creating the geometry.

Many of my parts could have all, or nearly all, of the features deleted - yet all the information needed to create the geometry would still be there.  (and I am usually able to use only the origin workplanes)

Joe Black

i have managed to get the plane coincident on the face ok and i tried the perpendicular choice button but i get a preview and cant finish it .i think there is another pick to do but not sure where to pick.

as for attaching sldprt files here i am not sure on that yet as i have a mountain to climb on just the basics thus far so that will have to wait till later .thanx for the comments all are usefull to read

SW is a massive beast to learn but interesting compared wit Acad