6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2014 10:05 AM by Todd Carpenter

Set Child View Scale as Percentage of Parent Scale

Wes Cox

Hello,

I am looking for a method to control view scales in drawings. Specifically, I want to set a dimetric view as child  view, at a percentage of that parent scale.

I want to set the dimetric view as 1/2 the scale of the parent view, so that as I change the custom user defined scale of the parent, the child follows at 1/2 that scale

To give some context, I am creating hundreds drawings of different sizes of the same model. Each size is it's own model and drawing, all generated from configurations. My company's drawings display a dimetric view in the upper right hand corner, always at 1/2" of the front view. I rescale both the front views and dimetric views hundreds of times a week.

A solution to this would save me weeks of hours a year. Thank you in advance.

• Re: Set Child View Scale as Percentage of Parent Scale
          Glenn Schroeder

Wes,

Someone may be able to write a macro to do that, but I'm fairly certain that's the only way.  I would suggest you move this discussion to the API section of the forum.  (Please don't start a new discussion, just click on "Move discussion" in the Actions section at upper right.)

Wes Cox

Thank you Glenn. I use a few macros in my workflow, but am just beginning to learn how to create them since I continue to run into odd needs like this one. This Parent-Child view scale problem is such a time drag--- it will be great if anyone has any ideas for a solution.

Wes Cox

It seems like this should be possible to control since the views are named. So what I want to do is have "drawing view1" and "drawing view2" display at, say, 1:0.28, and "drawing view3" display at 1/2 of that.

My intention is to run through my hundreds of drawings of the same basic part, scaling each "drawing view1" to suit the page, and after making these scaling adjustments, run the whole batch with the macro that scales "drawing view1" by 1/2 current value.

Ideally I would like to tie the scale of "drawing view3" as 1/2 the scale value of "drawing view1" constantly, rather than running a macro that sets the value of "drawing view3" as 1/2 "drawing view1" just once, this way if I wanted to tweek the custom scale, I wouldn't have to adjust both.

But,it would be a triumph just to have a macro that set the value of "drawing view3" as 1/2 "drawing view1" once.

If anyone has an idea about where I might begin to control the values of namesd drawing views I would appreciate any insight.

Wes Cox

Anyone have ideas on this? 400 views an no replys except for Glenn's is kind of discouraging.

Todd Carpenter

Wes,

I think Glenn is right you will have to use a macro for this as the scale field in the view options doesn't allow for variables (at least that I've found).  I would think that predefined views would at least be a good starting point but if I understand what you need is to "fill the page", predefined views won't do you much good other than as a template, as they're just a way to define an empty view and don't really offer any kind of "dynamic scaling"

We've been in the same boat with what I do and will need to explore the macro scaling route as well - we just haven't started digging yet.

Sorry if that's no help...