2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 11:55 PM by John Burrill

Will we need to update our drawing templates to 2014?

Brad Hakeman

Ok, I think I know the answer to this, but I'm  told I need to ask it here, first.

As you can see from earlier posts, we are upgrading from 2013 to 2014.  I was asked if we need to update our template files to 2014 as well.  My thought is that we should be fine if everyone is updated to 2014 successfully, the templates should update to 2014 when the drawings are created.

Thanks

• Re: Will we need to update our drawing templates to 2014?
          Deepak Gupta

I would say keep a backup and then save the templates in SW2014. Though you don't need to but would be better. BTW templates won't update automatically when making new drawings.

• Re: Will we need to update our drawing templates to 2014?
            John Burrill

Brad, you're going to want to open and re-save your templates in 2014 (Deepaks suggestion that you back them up first is good advice)-the reason being, SolidWorks takes longer to open a file from a previous release than a current one because it has to update he file to the current schema.

For that reason, it will take longer to create a new document from a template that was last saved in an earlier release of the software.

Additionally, in some cases the new document dialog box will take longer to display if it has to read files from a previous release.  You'll notice about a 5 second delay beteween clicking the new button and the template dialog displaying if you have 8-10 document templates.