3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2014 10:19 AM by Steve Martens

Have a Faro Arm, Is DezignWorks the best choice or required

Steve Martens

Jumping into the reverse engineering world, Have a new Faro Edge sitting in my office, reading the manual waiting for the training class in a few days.

It seems that Dezignworks has the most buzz about it, is it the best software that links the arm into SW? or is there better options?

Thanks

• Re: Have a Faro Arm, Is DezignWorks the best choice or required
          Timothy Holman

I have used dezign works and another software called revworks.  They both work about the same one thing that I like is that if you use dezignworks pro there are some cool valiation tools that work great on checking what you have created against the real part.  This is great when you have a complex surface and want to know how acurate you are with your modeling using the arm.  Using it is easy, you should pick it up quickly and be able to create parts that are pretty darn accurate.

Andrew Francisco

Last summer I demoed a Faro arm. The guys at dezign works were great, they let me demo the software for a few weeks while I had the arm, they setup web training to get me up to speed and showed me all the basics. I even traveled to our main facility near there headquarters and they offered to meet me and help me work on a reverse engineering project I was working on. They really went above and beyond. I only used it for hard probing but the laser scan features looked interesting. Once I got used to controlling the software from the buttons on the arm, I could work far away from my computer and quickly grab points. I would suggest talking to the guys over at Design works and trying to get a demo to see if the software works for you.

Steve Martens

Thanks Timothy and Andrew,

I have spoke with Matt at DezignWorks and it does seem they are willing to do what ever they can to help us evaluate the software.  Where as Dezignworks is great for reverse engineering (which we may buy it for that purpose), we also do inspections and may need another package for that as well.

All the Best

Steve