17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 12:05 PM by Scott McFadden

sketching between 2 planes

Joe Black

i draw a square on 1 plane ,then i make a new plane and draw another square on plane number 2.

now i want to connect up the corners to make a square box.

but i cant seem to be able to connect the corners ,not sure where to go on this ,i tried snaps to no avail.

no doubt the  answer is riduclously simple but a new boy here ...

• Re: sketching between 2 planes
          J. Mather

Why do you need the second square?

Simply Extrude the first square.

Attach your sldprt file here.

If the squares aren't aligned then do a Loft between the squares.

If your real design intent is simply wireframe, then do a 3D sketch to connect the endpoints.

If you are only heading towards construction geometry (wireframe) I often Extrude as a Surface Body, eliminating the need for second 2D sketch or 3D sketch or additional workplane(s).  Make the surface body a transparent color.

Jeff Mirisola

Simplest way is to use a 3D sketch. On your sketch toolbar, click on the down arrow next to the sketch icon and choose 3D sketch. It would probably be a good idea to jump into the tutorials and take a look at 3D sketching.

You could also create more new planes coincident to the corners you want to sketch.

Chris Mackedanz

You should create this sketch as a 3D Sketch instead of a regular sketch.  Other wise you would have to add two more planes each would be able to have a sketch with 2 vertical lines that would be referencing the other sketchs end points to get them in the right position.

Best option is to use a 3D sketch probably depending on why you are wanting to sketch a box?

Joe Black

thanks for the suggestions , iam working thru the tutorials online and in the SW bible so its kinda overwhelming ,but i zoom off on an experimental sketch as a diversion to see how i get on away from the tutorials sometimes...

Joe Black

now i have ended up with a wireframe model that looks like a concorde engine ,2 intakes and round at the back and plan to surface the model to get some surfacing practice  as i have none .so would i just go with planar panels or a boundary surface . i notice that some panels planar surface easy whilst otheres its a no go so far ....

Steve Calvert

Joe, think 'out of the box'.  Sorry, I had to say that.  But really, you don't need to sketch the entire box to make a solid.  Sure you can but with the power of solid modeling, why would you.

Just sketch on a plane on of the faces and extrude it a length.  You can make all the dimensions the same if you want a cube and want it to increase/decrease as one.

Steve Calvert

Joe Black

sure i understand its easier to do it other ways but i am trying to get some practice looking at alternate ways ...

just as a sideline from tutorials

Joe Black

i read in the SW bible chapter on surfacing where he says 'you can perform workarounds using solids to do most of the things you do ,however many of these workarounds are inefficient and cumbersome ,and raise as many dificulties as they solve',

he seems to be saying surfacing has usefull alternatives and can use them for general 3D modeling tasks .

so what do you think about his comments ??

J. Mather

Joe Black wrote:

he seems to be saying surfacing has usefull alternatives and can use them for general 3D modeling tasks .

so what do you think about his comments ??

Isn't that what I said in my first response?

" I often Extrude as a Surface Body, eliminating the need for second 2D sketch or 3D sketch or additional workplane(s)."

You should probably go through the built in tutorials before moving on to surfacing topics.

Here are some (older) surfacing tutorials

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/SolidWorks_surface_tutorials.htm

Also search for Mike Wilson SolidWorks

and

Ed Eaton Curvy Stuff DiMonte Group tutorials.

Steve Calvert

I know Matt Lombard and have been to his classes on hybrid modeling but to do a cube in wireframe and then create surfaces and then knit them together to make a solid is just backwards.  I know that's not what you're attempting to do and sometimes hybrid method is what you need and I applaud your efforts to learn differently.

You'll do fine in the world of solid modeling if you think.

Steve Calvert

PS  Do you have a specific shape in mind that you might be trying to accomplish?

Scott McFadden

Joe,

There is a definate difference between alternate ways of modeling things and bad modeling practices.

Be careful.  You are sounding like you are misunderstanding what is being said in that book.  Like JD said, extrude the part (which needs to be done in order to get surfaces).  If you are not extruding then you might as well just use Autocad and stay in 2D.

Sounds like you might want to look into some training.  Maybe start with simple tutorial videos on Youtube.

Joe Black

i am working on the tutorials and using youtube examples but just doing the odd experiment to see all sides of the story ,then i will know not what to do .at this stage i am overwelmed by the information so just trying all things as an experiment .all your comments will lead me in the right direction

Lenny Bucholz

best advise to give you since you say you are new boy to SW is.....

Learn the solid features first, how you create solids with making new planes, axis, 2d and 3d sketches will train you when you need to make surfaces.

how you make solid lofts and sweeps will help in surface lofts and sweep.

with any solid modeler use solids until surfaces are really needed,

all the sugestion are from users who have been there and done that like you are now learning....you have to break old CAD habbits at learn the new way for said CAD.

JMO