7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 7:19 PM by Edwin Thein

Modify a part in an assembly

Edwin Thein

I have 4 parts my assembly.

It is possible to modify 1 of them as I need to modify it based on another part in the assembly.

How do I do this?

• Re: Modify a part in an assembly
          Deepak Gupta

Yes, simply edit the part within assembly and take references from other part as required.

Matteo Calzaferri

Right click on the part in assembly, and then click on edit part.

Edwin Thein

I got this message:

The part you are editing is not mated or fixed in space.

Adding in-content features may produce undesirable results.

It is recommended tat you position the component before doing so.

..but my component has already been positioned!

So what's this about?

Deepak Gupta

By position, the message means to fix the part in the required position using mates.

Edwin Thein

How can I send my file to you?

There's something in the fileTransfer geometry.jpg that doesn't allow me to transfer a geometry from one assembly to another.

I tried doing it on another assembly and it works.  I don't know what I did wrong here.

I Edit Part on the screen printing (dark grey) the message was:

The part you are editing is not mated or fixed in space.

Adding in-content features may produce undesirable results.

It is recommended tat you position the component before doing so.

Then I click on Sketch but I cannot select anything else.

John Burrill

Edwin, you should do the SolidWorks tutorials on top-down modeling since those cover the prerequisites for positioning components in order to produce in-context features.

However, so that you can continue with your current endeavor, I've made some observations about your situation.

First, the warning message you're getting is not going to stop you from adding incontext references.  It's simply saying you have not constrained all of the components degrees of freedom and as a result it may update in unusual ways if it's moved or rotated.

If that's not a show stopper for you, then you can create a new sketch or edit an existing one in the part.  To do that, select a planar face and click the 'create sketch' tool button on the shortcut menu.  YOu can select the face onwhich to create the sketch after the fact too.

In a sketch you can project geometry from external components the same way that you project edges and faces from the parts geometry-by clicking "Convert Enttiies" and selecting the elements you wish to include in your sketch.  The resulting sketch geometry will update if teh external geoemtry is changed or if moving your component results in different projected geometry.

You can also create references to assembly geoemtry in 3D Sketches and by selecting edges and faces from the assembly model in some feature definitions.

External references are usually the tough part to get your head around in any software, so as general advice, before you tackle anything too complicated, read the online help on top-down design

http://help.solidworks.com/2014/english/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_Top-Down_Design_Overview.htm?id=cd84d095aebc4de2ae8c096f7f07b46c#Pg0

This material is covered in the SolidWorks Essentials Training that your VAR offers, so you should look into that too.

John