2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2007 3:04 PM by Josh Maggert

Honeycomb

Josh Maggert
      I am revising my question for better understanding (hopefully):

I want to create a sandwich panel in a honeycomb pattern (hexagonalshaped honeycombs). So, imagine you sketch a hexagon on thetop plane (anywhere) and extrude it 30 mm.  But, I wantthe hexagon to be hollow with a wall thickness of 2 mm. I wantthat hexagon patterned over and over again (say, hundreds of timesso it fills up a huge area). I am having troubles b/c of the factthat each honeycomb is sharing each of its walls and I am gettingerrors. I am also having troubles offsetting the honeycombs b/c itis not a true linear pattern (draw out a honeycomb pattern on paperand you will see what I mean).

Any ideas?? Thanks!!!!
        • Honeycomb
          Elizabeth Sobota
          I've had a similar problem, and what I basically did was create arectangular section of honeycomb (linear pattern of one hex cutextrude).  Then I cut the (oval) shape out of the middle ofthat. You can switch sides to cut so it removes everything outsidethe oval sketch.
            • Honeycomb
              Josh Maggert
              I appreciate the advice.  I definitely like the idea of ZIPfiles - but I am still running on '05 so careful on what you sendme.   (I am on '05 b/c our company has many componentstied to SolidWorks and the compatibility test phase takesFOREVER!!) .. sorry about that!

if anyone can send me a file I can view on how to draw this I wouldgreatly appreciate it!!!!