11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2014 11:31 PM by Kelvin Lamport

How to work with sketches brought into SW

Eric Henderson

Hello all, new to SW and the forum, but in CAD/CAM for awhile now.  The Issue I need help with is how to deal with Sketches brought into SW, mainly from Mastercam.  The points, lines arc's and such are brought in from a portable CMM arm into Mastercam, from which we initially created the Solids/Surfaces.  Now with this more powerful CAD software we would like to re create these models, not from the current solids and such, just from the wire frame. The problem is dimensioning and editing these features for use in SW, you cannot extude these directly, nor can you edit them. If you use them to recreate the geometry, you cannot edit the new sketch w/o issues, such as over defined. So how do I use captured data to create good solids?  Additionally, if possible I would like to delete these when done if possible.  If you create a sketch using a relation of the the old sketch and suppress it, the new goes away as well.  Thanks in advance.

• Re: How to work with sketches brought into SW
          Kelvin Lamport

A solid can be built from a wireframe by creating a set of surfaces using loops of the sketched elements. When the surfaces are zipped and "watertight", a  solid can be formed.

Subsequent changes to the solid can be performed using regular SW functions, or the direct edit (Move Face) functions. Sketches are not needed.

Jerry Steiger

Eric,

I would be inclined to make new sketches in SolidWorks. You can convert the edges from the import and then delete the relationship to the original and add relations/dimensions in SolidWorks.

Jerry S.

Eric Henderson

Jerry, that is exactly what I want/need to do.  Your pretty darn close to a correct answer for this.  What I have been doing is bringing them In as 3d curves, otherwise it smashes them into 1 plane, this leads to un-editable sketches.  What I have to do then is create a reference plane, convert edges, make this construction geometry only, then use that to re-make the geometry.  This works, but what a pain, additionally I need to label everything very well so I don't change or delete any of these.  There has to be a easier way!?  I though It would be so easy to just bring in sketches, define/ change them as needed, then off to Modeling.  Anyone got Idea's?

Eric Henderson

Anna and others, attached is just some of the reversed data, I could not include much as this is proprietary data.  There is much more in the file, but this gives you an Idea of what I am looking at.  Basically these reversed lines arc's and such need to be re-created to make a solid model, due to the volume of data, I need a easy way to manupulate these into usable sketches.  Thanks for anyone's input.

Eric Henderson

Kelvin, that is the correct DWG, no corruption.  I only attached some of the data, If I can get these few things figured out, the rest is basically the same.  They do come in as 3D curves, I believe that is what is making this so difficult.  The 3 Elipses are actually circles off in 3D space, if you bring it in on one plane you will not see this.  I am capturing this Data using a Master 3D gage in Mastercam/Verisurf, I actually measure a Plane then measure the feature on it, like the circles.  There is alot going on with this part, this kinda just gives a basic Idea.  In a nut shell the 2 large elipse's will need extruded inward (thin wall) and then will be Lofted(or free form) toward the sketch in the front. Think of it as a "Y" pipe, the sketches (lines) to the left form a shape that will be a Boss of sorts connected to the side of this.  Bring the sketch in as 3D curves option and you will begin to see this.  The main issue is to bring these in as usable form( where they sit in 3D), they become curves, which I cannot work with, or do not know how.  In Mastercam, I would just capture this data as reversed, then I could modify the Diameters/ line lengths and extrude the geometry.  Mastercams solids/surfaces is just not powerful enough to handle the additional stuff I would like to do, It has huge Issues with fillets and blending the free form stuff as needed.   Thanks for taking the time to look and help! 

Kelvin Lamport

I thought I had selected the 3D Curves option ... but obviously I hadn't.

Either start a 3D sketch and use the Convert Entities tool to create usable sketch geometry, or create a plane from the ellipses, then create a 2D sketch on that plane & again use the Convert Entities tool to create sketch geometry.

The 3D sketch will need a direction vector to be extruded or a path to be swept along.

The 2D sketch will extrude normal to the parent plane.

Eric Henderson

Kelvin, thanks.  Is this my only option with this?  Following up I need to create planes off imported sketches,convert edges, make this construction geometry to use the same points as a reference, then create new sketches, and extrude from there?  What a process, this may take forever.  In your opinion, this is my only option?

Kelvin Lamport

I would hesitate to say it's the only option. With SW there is rarely only one way to complete a task.

And I'm not sure I understand what you mean by

...make this construction geometry to use the same points as a reference, then create new sketches, and extrude from there?

If you could show the end result of what you are actually trying to do, I'm sure someone could explain an efficient way to achieve your goal.