9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 12:39 AM by Andrew Hallas

Enterprise PDM vs Synergis Adept

Hal Hardin

I need someone who can give me more than an educated guess about the pros and cons of Enterprise PDM vs Synergis Adept. I just came from a company where we used solidworks with enterprise pdm very eficiently with very few, if any, problems. (Server space is reserved for another discussion.) I now work for company where we use solidworks with synergis adept and I can't find anything good to say about adept. I can't use adept as an add-in on SW because SW locks up within 30-45-min of work. I don't know if I am just too set in my ways and prejudiced toward enterprise and don't want to give adept a shot or what. I have been here for 5 month's and have already formed an opinion but I am open to any advice and/or input that anyone may have.

Sincerely,

Frustrated

• Re: Enterprise PDM vs Synergis Adept
          Pete Yodis

I can't speak to Adept now.  We don't use Adept, but we did move away from NFM (Adept used to be called Network File Manager) back in 2003 or so.  We moved all our data to WorkGroup PDM at the time.  Now we are moving to EPDM.  Anyways, we decided to move to a SolidWorks product because we liked the idea of CAD and PDM software from the same company.  We could rest assured that there would always be a data management product for the CAD files as long as SolidWorks was around.  At the time, support of SolidWorks files was a little sketchy with NFM and the availablity of a product to support SolidWorks files kept shifting a bit.  It didn't give us the confident feeling.  Synergis (makers of Adept) was our AutoCAD reseller, so it was quite convenient when AutoCAD was our program of choice.  That equation changed when we purchased SolidWorks.  Merits or demertis of the actual program aside, I think you might have a case for what I just mentioned to you.  It wouldn't give me the comfy feeling.  I like the idea of SolidWorks releasing the CAD and data management software all at the same time, and for there to be no excuses about the add-in between the CAD and PDM side being faulty.

Hal Hardin

Pete, I agree 100%. I only wish the powers that be could see that. I believe when they had to make a decission on which program to use, the guy with adept put on a better show than the guy with EPDM. The company I worked for previously also used WorkGroup and then migrated everything to EPDM. The work flow was set up professionaly and our administrator did a fantastic job. Thanks for your input.

Thanks,

Hal

Dwight Livingston

Hal

We use Adept. We will soon be moving to Cideon's CAD Desktop, but only because of our SAP initiative. We will still use Adept for non-product CAD.

A couple of things I'd ask the EPDM users here. Can you have an assembly open in Solidworks and save it directly into the vault, without closing? And does EPDM store assemblies that reference components you accidently left in temporary library folders?

Cideon seems to avoid these problems (we haven't started using it for real). The save to vault option should be a help. For our big assemblies, It can take a long time to save to a local folder, close everything, check everything in, check everything out, open it back up.

Dwight

Pete Yodis

Dwight,

With EPDM you can save an assembly directly into the vault with SolidWorks open, although a bit of a technicality you are actually saving the file to your local work area before you can check it in.  You can also do it with SolidWorks closed, using windows explorer.  The next step would be to check-in the file.  You can check in a file with SolidWorks open or closed.  Also, you can enforce rules so that upon an attempt to check in an assembly, if it references files outside the vault, the check-in will be blocked.  A user would have to make sure that the references to files outside the vault are corrected to files inside the vault before check-in of that assembly is allowed.

Hal Hardin

Dwight,

With PDM Enterprise there is no taking files from the vault then putting them back in. Within SW I can simply go to SW resourses, search for a file within the vault and open it weather I have it checked out or not. As long as I have rights to open that file at the state that it is in I can simply click the icon in SW resources and check it out. When I am done doing whatever I had to do I simply click the icon to check the file back in. Never at any time did I remove this file from the vault or copy it to a local folder. It always remains in the vault.

As it is, where I am now using adept, the files come out of the vault into a local folder, you work on it and then it goes back into the vault. In my opinion that just leaves too much room for error.

Hal

Pete Yodis

Hal,

I believe the files are copied locally.  It doesn't appear that way because the local view and vault view and combined into one view.  Files in the vault are never worked on directly...anyone else can correct me if I am wrong.  Files are copied locally, worked on, checked back in...although it's pretty seamless in EPDM.

Hal Hardin

Pete,

You are correct in that enterprise does its hocus pocus and puts a local file on your drive and that is great but in adept it looks as though it actually changes the location of the file that I want to use. I think that my discussion may have gotten off track a little because I am trying to find good reasons as to why the company I work for should switch to enterprise pdm.

I have heard that adept does not handle configurations in solidworks too well. Shouldn't I be able to use the adept add in to work within SW without crashing all the time, and it's not just on my computer?

Dwight Livingston

With PDM Enterprise there is no taking files from the vault then putting them back in. Within SW I can simply go to SW resourses, search for a file within the vault and open it weather I have it checked out or not. As long as I have rights to open that file at the state that it is in I can simply click the icon in SW resources and check it out. When I am done doing whatever I had to do I simply click the icon to check the file back in. Never at any time did I remove this file from the vault or copy it to a local folder. It always remains in the vault.

As it is, where I am now using adept, the files come out of the vault into a local folder, you work on it and then it goes back into the vault. In my opinion that just leaves too much room for error.

Then I agree. As a regular Adept user, I'd say your perference for EPDM is the right choice.

Andrew Hallas

Hal,

The company I work for have been using Adept since 2005 and have had some issues with the SolidWorks integration over the years but nothing that has been a major problem that has not been fixed in a timely manor. What version of Adept are you running and have you taken these issues up with the Synergis Helpdesk?

Cheers,

Andrew