29 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 5:36 PM by John Scott

Help with a basic pipe clamp?

John Scott

Hi, I've started learning SolidWorks as of last week to build a handle that can attach to another handle. I've made the handle itself (though its not great), but I'm trying to make the handle attach to the other via 2 pipe clamps. In the attached handle file, I have 2 rectangles extruding from the handle at the correct locations, but I am having trouble building the clamp on top of the surface (the clamp itself should look something like the clamp file I attached, though with different dimensions and I hope to learn how to add screws). I feel this problem might be way easier than it actually is, but I've been struggling with it for a long time now. Can anybody help?

Edit: Could there possibly be an easy way using an assembly?

Edit 2: Since the computers are being used at the moment I've uploaded a hand sketch. I'll try and make one in SW asap.

Edit 3: added new handle design "new_handle"

Edit 4: Fixed 3D sketch and changed dimensions in "new_handle_2"

Edit: Added both halves.

• Re: Help with a basic pipe clamp?
          Mike Forsyth

Hello John,

Welcome to the Forum and the exciting world of SolidWorks.

An Assembly is a great way to add a new part to an existing component. You can also design your clamp first then locate it in an assembly of the handles if you prefer.  Looking at the files you attached, I am not sure on how you are clamping the parts together.

If you can attach a sketch, I'm sure myself or many users of this forum can and will assist you.

Hope to communicate with you soon.

Enjoy the expirience.

John Scott

Thanks Mike, I'm really liking SW thus far, even though I get frustrated at times. Unfortunately at the moment I dont have access, but perhaps in an hour or so I should. I uploaded a hand drawn sketch in the mean time, and think I did a better job explaining what I'm trying to do to Tom. If you can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Tom dunn

Hi John, I am looking at your part (handle). First off, you have a combination of a surface body and two solids. I think you want to make them all the one solid part. to do this roll back in the feature tree so just the surface-knit1 is yellow in color. next right click on surface-knit one and select edit feature. Just under the selection box is two boxes select them both "try to form solid" and "merge entities" hit green check and your handle part is now a solid. On the two boss-extrudes make sure the "merge result" box is checked. now your handle is one solid part instead of the three items.

I am a little confused as how you are assembling your handles and clamp. I am on sw 2013 so can't really send you and models. Hope this helps a little bit. Tom

John Scott

Wow, the handle looks so much better after I went through your suggestions. Thank you so much, it really would have been a waste if I had printed this handle in that ugly looking condition before. Now thats a box I wont forget checking in the future.

I actually made this handle in the 2012 student edition, but I am at my university now and have access to the 2013 version. Basically I want 2 clamps to attach exactly where the 2 arms protruding from the handle are located. After this I plan on making screw holes on the 2 flat sides of the clamps. These clamps will wrap around another handle, and with the same clamps on the other side (though these won't be attached to anything), I hope to screw the two together thus attaching the two together.

Sorry if that explanation was bad. I'll try and provide a sketch of what I'm saying soon. For now, all I need to know is how I can get a clamp that looks similar to the one I posted on the arms of the handle. There may be a lot of ways to do this (without an assembly?) but I'm very lost.

Tom dunn

here is my sugestion on how to make the handle and clamp as one part. Tom

I just noticed on your handle on the second half of your finger hold or grip it does not look right. If your scroll back up to your surface-loft2 and edit feature. In the box where it says start/end constraint select the bottom box where it says none and change it to tangent to face and hit the green check. "You could have mirrored the surface loft 1" instead of creating a second loft. Tom

John Scott

You've again helped make my handle look much better so I thank you. I just tried to download the file you posted. Unfortunately I am unable to because the university only has the education edition (whereas you seem to be using the standard?). I have updated the OP with the 2 clamps I plan to attach with the correct dimensions, as well as the updated handle file. Would it be possible for you to tell me how I would go about attaching the clamps onto the 2 bars in the handle file?

Thanks so much for your help so far, you've helped me more than you know.

Edit: Actually I'm not sure whats going on with the university computers right now. SW doesn't seem to be working on any of their computers.

Edit 2: Sorry about that, the school has had a hardware server failure.

Tom dunn

John a couple of questions.

1.) do the c clamps need to be seperate parts or can they be added to the handle to make one part.

2.) I noticed on the c clamps you have you have a draft of 1.20 deg. did you mean to add draft?

3.) if you plan on making an assembly you don't really need the top and bottom to be named as different parts you can use the same part and bring in a quantity that you need say 4 two top    

two bottom.

John Scott

Tom, thanks for checking in,

1) They can be added to make one part. Ill have to have a replica of each one sepearelty, though.

2) Yes, I meant to add the draft. I will be clamping these to another handle the increases in diameter throughout, so the draft was necessary. The dimensions are exact, though.

3) I'm not sure I understand your last part in the statement. How can that help me attach these clamps?

Edit: Wow, your picture looks really, really good.

Tom dunn

Your welcome! Do you have anymore questions?

John Scott

I would to see if I can complete the project once I regain access to SW 2013 at my school and can view your file (they're experiencing license probems), so for now no. I'll update once I finish or if I get stuck, thanks.

John Scott

Tom,

I am now able to view your file. It looks very good and is almost exactly what I need. I think I see what you did, but as I said before I need the top and bottom radius to be different (to be the same in the 2 clamp files I posted), is there anyway I can control this in your file? I am trying to do it by going on edit feature for each of the clamps and chaning the draft as I did before, but it appears to not be working.

Edit: Do I have to alter your sketch to configure the dimensions of the clamps to my liking? There should be an easier way, no?

Tom dunn

Here is my updated file for you, with the draft on the clamps.

D you need the draft on the bottom and top of the clamps going in the same direction or should the bottom one be reversed from the top?

John Scott

Tom, the bar that these clamps will be attaching to increases in diameter from top to bottom. So say the top radius of each clamp is R1 and the bottom radius for each clamp is R2. So currently the top clamp has R1 = ~31.05 and R2 = ~ 31.38mm which is what I need. But the bar increases in diameter still, so I think the draft would need to be in the same direction? For the bottom clamp Ill need the radius to increase from R1 = ~34.3 to R2 = ~34.65 (which is what the clamps have in the files I attached in the OP). I did this before using the draft feature but with the way you attached the clamps I dont know if this will work again.

Tom dunn

John, updated the model so the top clamp meets the 15.525r top and 15.69r bottom. I then created a surface and extended that down to the bottom clamp (which i did not change yet) to show the bar that handle is being attached to. Tom

Tom dunn

another change to the bottom clamp.

John Scott

Tom,

I think I can finally understand how you made the changes you did, including how you got the clamps onto the arms . I went ahead and made a few adjustments, and sent it for printing. I figure I want to see a prototype to know what more I need to change.

I'm wondering though, would it be possible to theoretically increase the thickness of the clamps? So right now its 2 mm, but say I want to change it to 10 mm. Considering how you chose to attach the clamps onto the bars, is there a special way I should go about doing this, without chaning the length of the entire handle by much? I'll probably want to honestly since Im thinking 2 mm isn't durable enough (my school only prints 1 type of material).

Thanks for getting me this far.

Tom dunn

Change to the clamp thickness. Tom

John Scott

Hey Tom,

I know its been a while but the handle finished printing yesterday and there's some good news and bad news.

Good news is that its beautiful and it works exactly as it was intended to. I can post some pictures soon too. And I could use what I've learned for the bad news.

Bad news is that I messed up the initial design. For complicated reasons that don't matter at the moment, I was supposed to have developed a handle that directly encapsulates the old one-and I could use your help if you're still willing to give it.

I added the file "new_handle" of what I want the new handle to look like. But it has to wrap around the old handle (btw, its attaching to the same handle that it was before, in case you were wondering) and I'm having trouble executing my idea with this. Before I tell you the idea, in case you were wondering, the cylinder extruding at the top of the handle is where people will be making button presses with their index finger (they wont be making presses with their thumbs anymore).

Basically what I want is to cut this new handle I have in half, and then take the two halves and attach them to the other handle so they wrap around. What I'm wondering though 1) how do I cut in half? and 2) is it possible for them to attach to one another without using any screws? I was thinking that if they could attach via  4 'clips' (2 at the top, and 2 at the bottom-for each half) or something, it would be much easier to attach and remove the new handle if so. Perhaps I could have 4 spheres on one half of the handle, and 4 holes on the other half and they 'clip' together, so no screws are needed. Do you think this would work? And what do you think would be the best approach for this?

Sorry for the long post, I've learned a lot from you and appreciate all your help thus far.

Tom dunn

Hi John. I have a couple of questions. So handle #2 needs to go over handle #1? Do I have handle #2 oriented the correct way as far a top and bottom and does the button face the correct way? Is the handle #1 still going to have the grip feature on it or is it smooth? Your handle #2 is not a solid yet but can be fixed.

Just looked back at your model of handle #2 and it is 2 solids. Look at your surface-loft2 the indents of the grip go in past your inner cylinder so I suggest making a change to your 3dsketch3 and moving the two inner bumps back a little bit.

John Scott

Ok Tom I think I did a poor job explaining the situation. To use your image, I am no longer dealing with handle #1 anymore. Handle #2 is the only new handle. Handle #2 will be attaching to the surface that you created ealier to represent the bar that handle #1 was going to attach to. Does that make sense? I am abandoning handle #1 for handle #2. So handle #2 needs to go over the bar or 'other handle' as I called it earlier.

I cant believe I messed up that 3D sketch and missed it, but I fixed it in "new_handle_2".

So at this point I need to cut the this handle in half, and see if I can 'clip' the two halves together, or come up with another way to convinitely attach the 2 together. If I end up using screws though, that won't be a big deal either.

John Scott

OK, I think I managed to cut it in half. I extruded a rectangle from the center of the handle and extended it outide in all directions. Then I used the split feature (really had no idea this existed before). I saved the new parts into separate files, and then I extruded the cut of the same dimensions of the orginal rectangle I created in order to have it be 2 equal and opposite halves.

Edit: I added both files in the OP, now I just need to find a way to attach them and I'm home free.

Tom dunn

Check out insert, fastening feature. This will make a snap hook feature on one side and a mating groove on the other part. I have not used it that much. but I think there is a tutorial on that if I am not mistaken. I am heading home for the night, but should be back in tomorrow morning for  awhile or catch me on Monday if you need any help.